Missing Fingers

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by Chocolate Labrador, Dec 14, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just a quick question, forgot to ask on my medical. I'm doing an engineering degree with a lot of agricultural and heavy machines, and there's a fair chance I'll lose a finger or two. Can I still join up if I've lost my little or ring finger? I'm guessing losing trigger or index finger is a no no.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. I lost my ring finger jumping of a waggon, BMH iserlohn sorted it out , soldier on. Two other blokes in my sqn had fingers missing so its not a big deal as far as the army is concerned. no trigger fingers though. obviously try not to loose one in the first place though ! one of them was a little finger too.
  3. Officers must have all ten fingers on joining.

The ability to count to ten is held in high regard in the Officer's Mess.

(Or just be fcuking careful with the chainsaws.... I mean FFS you're planning which fingers to lose!)
  4. Brilliant thank you, I'll try not to lop any off, saying that I had a good go at my trigger finger, thank god it healed in time for Ex.
  5. The MoD are actively encouraging those with missing digits to join the army at present as it reduces the cost of compensation claims when they later have you blown up.
  6. Off the top of my head, thumb + trigger finger must be present, the rest is on merit (will equipment work without modification, will hand usage efficiency be reduced etc). It's all in the 'Medical docs - joining up' info in the Regular Soldier Recruitment forum sticky.
  7. You'd look silly without the top of your head being present, or an extra in a Hannibal Lecter film.
  8. There is a difference between getting injuries in service and joining up with them.
  9. Ring finger seems to be a popular one to lose - Wedding ring catching on the tailgate of a bedford, happened to a couple of of guys in my regt. Teach em that they're better of divorced!
  10. If using a chainsaw be sure to use a US manufactured one with the obligitory sticker: "Warning! Do not attempt to stop the blade with hands or genitals!"
  11. What i meant was the Army aren't, or didn't seem to be that bothered, it isn't that much of a handicap. so joining up shouldn't be to difficult as long as function is not too impaired.
  12. What I meant was there are plenty of injured people in the army that if they had that injury upon joining up never would have got in.
  13. I see what you mean.
  14. Could earn the nickname "kit-kat"
  15. If the Army wont have you, try the Navy. As you can see from my photo below, taken while I was serving, the Navy has always been very tolerant of disabilities (and also big girly poofters judging by that wig I'm wearing).