Missing Churchill

Discussion in 'RAC' started by BenghaziBandit, Apr 29, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Way back in time I wrote a story for newspaper competition called 'Jinx Tank' (See google 'Age Concern') from facts and myths from my RAC time.
    I mentioned the firm 'Newton Chambers' at Chapeltown, who produced Churchills in WW2.
    Among the posts was a mention of a Churchill on a hard standing where the factory used to be.
    A poster from that area offered to photograph this tank for me but when he got there it had gone!
    I have never been able to get a satisfactory answer as to where it went, an old 'BAY' who lives there reckons it was pinched!'
    Anyone have further info?

2. I'd been wondering what had happened to it ever since I noticed it was missing.

The trail doesn't seem any warmer than it did last year. It seems the land is owned by Parcelline/DPD/Geopost, but other than that the only thing to go on is speculation.

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/archive/index.php/t-284876.html That's the most relevant thread I can find.

One person says it has been sold by Sheffield City Council, another says gyppos nicked it, another says chavs nicked it, another say a private collector bought it. 8O

Hmm. :?

3. Hey Squiddly, was it you that went to take the photo for me?

4. There was a thread about this on hmvf.co.uk but I can'y be arrsed to find it for you...

5. Yeah, I never did find out what happened to her.

"Our" Churchill was your typical gate guard - solid, seized up, and held together by the welding action of many layers of paint.

You used to be able to climb inside the turret apparently, but all I could see looking through one of the little gaps, was a load of faded crisp packets and suchlike.

So yeah, let's hope she is being restored, eh?

6. I've just copied this off 'Wrecks and Relics' thread, the missing Churchill at Newton Chambers!

Attached Files:

7. the mk 7 Churchill from the old newton and chambers site is down on the IOW being restored by dave Arnold for a rich tank collector from London, who plans on displaying it, so no doubt it will be at tankfest very soon.

rick