missing cd

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by ordinaryforces, Feb 22, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Little bit of help required if you please, I am running on Vista home and once again all traces of my cd player have disappeared preventing me playing discs, any pointers where to start would be appreciated. thankyou.

2. Has it fallen out? it happens you know

3. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Go get a copy of XP! failing that have you got a spare "cd" bung it in and see if the OS picks it up. I had an LG DVD/R recently that just died no reason for it. Did all the usuals and ended up getting a fujitsu drive which works just fine.

4. What does Control Panel/Device Manager/DVD and CD player show?

Litotes

5. :D I suspect that you are teasing.
    But on a serious note I'm using a laptop...so unless it's fallen onto my crotch I dont think so.

6. Thanks sofar
    Systems devices does,nt even list it anymore, absolutely no reference to it at all,this isnt the first time vista has done this.

7. Its a known Vista problem. Do a google search and you'll find ways to solve it. I solved it by setting fire to my lap top and getting another one.

8. Stirling Advice there flashy...."you did say I could call you flashy the last time we met" :D

9. I have had the same problem, only happened after I installed a certain software, I am giving you a registry fix here, you will have to copy and paste into notepad and name it anything you wish, mine is dvd fix.txt and keep it handy in case it happens again. Use a registry editor to paste it in.

FindKey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/Currentcontrolset/Control/Class/

Right click on key: {4d36e965-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}

Hope it works!

Jim

10. sailor/jim

thankyou verymuch.

11. See if you can see it in the Bios, sounds like you could have a dodgy drive, Or delete the drive from Device Manager - shut down - remove the power and ribbon cable from the drive - reboot - then shut down and re-attach the cable - reboot.

Link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929461

12. Hold it, don't touch the registry yet, look to you PM please.

Jim

13. It has been quite a while since I last used this fix, forgot what I needed to do. You need to find this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/Currentcontrolset/Control/Class/

Then this:

{4d36e965-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}

I have about 20 but the first one in my registry is the DVD, of it has a string with HIGH in it it needs deleting and a reboot.

Your DVD will come back.

Jim

14. Have you tried the most obvious first?

I had this happen on my HP and spent hours trying to fix it.

Then my smart arse son turned up, physically removed the drive (all the lapstops I have ever had have that little button thing underneath to press that allows you to remove the CD drive) and then put it back in again. Hey presto, problem fixed.