Missiles

#1
I am really interested in working with guided missiles. Is it the Artillery that operates most of these? I thought that the infantry and tanks used them too but the recruiting officer said that most of them were operated by artillery. Is the training harder than for other jobs and where do you work after training? Do you get to work in Afghanistan? My mate said no because there were no enemy tanks or aircraft but I was told that I would still be able to go out there in the careers office. But the recruiter said that I stood a better chance getting in if I worked with unpiloted aircraft at the moment. Can I change to missiles when I get in, mybe after an op in Afghanistan?

Sorry lots of questions but any help would be good.

foofighter
 
#2
I am joining as an officer - so it is different, however I went to Larkhill and saw the unmanned UAVs you mentioned. Looked to be a good job, very much in demand on Operations.

Do the RA do a Junior Ranks Insight Course?
 
R

randomgary

Guest
#3
foofighter90 said:
I am really interested in working with guided missiles. Is it the Artillery that operates most of these? I thought that the infantry and tanks used them too but the recruiting officer said that most of them were operated by artillery. Is the training harder than for other jobs and where do you work after training? Do you get to work in Afghanistan? My mate said no because there were no enemy tanks or aircraft but I was told that I would still be able to go out there in the careers office. But the recruiter said that I stood a better chance getting in if I worked with unpiloted aircraft at the moment. Can I change to missiles when I get in, mybe after an op in Afghanistan?

Sorry lots of questions but any help would be good.

foofighter
dude this post look's dodgy! if you had half an ounce of common sense you would be able to fing all your answers on the army website
 
#4
randomgary said:
foofighter90 said:
I am really interested in working with guided missiles. Is it the Artillery that operates most of these? I thought that the infantry and tanks used them too but the recruiting officer said that most of them were operated by artillery. Is the training harder than for other jobs and where do you work after training? Do you get to work in Afghanistan? My mate said no because there were no enemy tanks or aircraft but I was told that I would still be able to go out there in the careers office. But the recruiter said that I stood a better chance getting in if I worked with unpiloted aircraft at the moment. Can I change to missiles when I get in, mybe after an op in Afghanistan?

Sorry lots of questions but any help would be good.

foofighter
dude this post look's dodgy! if you had half an ounce of common sense you would be able to fing all your answers on the army website
Did you seriously just tell someone that their post looked dodgy?

Pot; this is kettle- black, I say again, black!
 
#5
Dont mention `fing`on here. Opsec and all that!
 
R

randomgary

Guest
#9
Bravo_Zulu said:
randomgary said:
i dont get it fella! how does my post look dodgy?
Have a look for "MLRS" on the Army website.
i wasnt asking the question! i suggested they searched the army website for job descriptions. then i was accused of being a pot calling the kettle black lol
 
#10
GMLRS on the website mate . It will take 3 hours to clear the airspace between the server and your PC and you will get sick of people telling you how good it is. I would look into UAV, lots of scope for jobs when you leave the army as well.
 
R

randomgary

Guest
#13
agree completly!

"clear the aircraft!!! we will use gmlrs"

best cases where we used it was when we were patroling into a known area and all the procedures were in place and ready before we left camp!
 
#14
randomgary said:
i dont get it fella! how does my post look dodgy?
You criticised someone's post for looking dodgy. I'm not sure what made it look dodgy as it was quite well worded, included specifics and was not bad, grammatically speaking.

Your reply had no capitalisation, a typo and a misplaced apostrophe. It also didn't address the likelihood that the OP had looked at the Army website and was looking for more information from those who've been at the sharp end.
 
#15
I have some nightmare tales of " long screwdriver" BC stuff insisting on GMLRS when a jet is overhead / PID/ CDE satisfied. Yet GMLRS was ordered. Took too long and bad guys gone.Still a great bit if kit , crap in crap out only ad good as the grid you give it.
 
R

randomgary

Guest
#16
dodgy as in hes been totally missinformed!! there are many posts on this site where people are just trolling! my reply also offered him advice on where to find the info he wanted!!!

as for spelling and grammer, well im a squaddie! we are not well known for our higher education
 
R

randomgary

Guest
#17
we might know each other!!! i worked alongside ww79 and 82 in 07 and ww66 in 09! drop me a pm if you were about then!!
 
#19
HVM springs to mind as another possible option, should your heart be set on the AD world? But as someone already said, there is very little chance of using it in the sand pit, but every chance that you will still go to Afghanistan. They are there as we speak! Best people to ask would be those fine cloudpunching gents at 47 Regt RA. But be quick! They are reroling as another UAV Regt, so it may not be possible?? There is also 12 and 16 AD regts RA who you may wish to consider?

Good luck!!
 

Guns

ADC
Moderator
Book Reviewer
#20
For real missiles come the Dark Blue side. We in the Royal Navy have been happily killing people with rockets, ramjets and thrusters for years. Why we even have the final, big fook off missile that ends all debate. http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/operations-and-support/submarine-service/ballistic-submarines-ssbn/

And you get three showers a day.

Try http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/careers/explore-jobs/branch/engineering/ for fixing them (and in some cases firing them - plus they tend to be the captain of the turret so fire the guns as well)

Try http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/careers/explore-jobs/all-jobs/warfare-specialist/whats-the-job/ for those that find, track and fire the big ones at planes and stuff.
 

Latest Threads