Missiles fired into Kuwait March April 2003

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Japster, Feb 27, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can anybody tell me exactly how many Iraqi missiles were fired into Kuwait during the period mentioned above, both ones that were intercepted and those ( if any ) that hit the ground?

2. I know of 2 scuds that came down in our area, pre move north.

3. I'm sure some Silkworms came over as well, vicious rumour had it that they were missed completely and would have made quite a mess had they been working. I'm sure one hit a Kuwaiti shopping mall.

4. Just wondering, how many of reported msls were Scuds (ballistic trajectory)? ISTR at least one msl attack was assessed later as anti-shipping msl aimed at ground tgt in Kuwait

PS one_of_the_strange has just answered my question

5. Gents,
    There were no SCUDS launched during TELIC. The missiles lobbed into Kuwait were mostly Silkworm anti-ship missiles. However, they also fired a few FROG SSMs (these missiles and their associated TELs look like the SCUD but are much smaller) during the conflict and I think at least one went into Kuwait.
    Regards,
    M2

6. Me and my oppo stood and watched one of the anti shipping missiles fly past us along the Shatt Al Basrah early one morning. The conversation went something like....

Oppo: "That helicopter's a bit low."
    Me: "That's not a helicopter, it's a missile!"
    Oppo: "Wow, " as missile flys past at about 30ft, "I've never seen a cruise missile before."
    Me: "Cruise missile? I don't think so. That one's going south. Our cruise missiles should be heading north!"

I can laugh about it now :roll:

7. likewise stood and watched something flying overhead. Coo look a cruise missile heading South, and quite low. Decided to move position into Iraq after that one as it was felt to be safer there.

8. Sorry my missle ID is not up to telling the difference between a Frog and a Scud while doing whacky racers across the desert in full IPE.

It was a) Big
    b) Moving quickly
    c) coming down some where near us
    d) posibly full of VX

9. Re: Silkworms

One banged in near to the front gate of Camp Commando. I know a QM(T) who was very very near. Didn't want his pants later. Yanks went crackers.

Later on one did fly via the PWHO towards Kuwait City. I think it s[palshed down near a Market or something.

10. ............

11. I RECOVERED ONE OF THE LAUNCHERS FOR THE SILK WORMS FROM THE REAR OF THE HOSPITAL NEAR CHEROKEE IT HAD BEEN HIDDEN UNDER A OPEN SIDED BUILDING WITH A DAF TRACTOR UNIT HAD GREAT FUN RIPPING A WALL DOWN ON SKY TV TRYING TO EXTRACT IT WITH A WARRIOR AND TOW IT TO THE HOTEL, WITH NO BRAKES AND NO POWER STEERING :D

12. Had to report a missile flying South one night. All hell broke loose when the AD chaps said they hadn't picked it up on radar. I found out what it was, but for security's sake I prefer not to name the thing.

13. I know youre excited about it but STOP SHOUTING!!

14. Mushroom. I'm guessing it was a compo turd with butterfly wings?

15. As the only man in Hospital suffering from severe constipation, whilst all around me were suffering from D&V, you could be right. Then again it could have been something else. Whatever it was it caused great joy to many listening on the Div Net as the important people took charge of the situation (or should that be panicked).