Miss America 1944 does a Rambo on thieves

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Bugsy, Apr 21, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Spanish_Dave

Spanish_Dave LE Good Egg (charities)

If it was the UK she would have had to fork out for the stress she caused the thief :(

2. Well, that's one reason why guns are good in the US. Can't think of any others though. But good stuff.

3. This story has nothing to do with whether guns are good or bad. It has to do with whether people are good or bad or just twisted - rather like the big story of this week at V Tech. I don't think for example that the story could be spun with such a rosy glow if "octogenarian shoots burglars out of hand with assault weapon" had been the headline.

This fine old lady used reasonable and appropriate force and fair play to her. She also appeared to know what she was doing with her legally owned and apparently deservedly so, fire arm.

4. i would have to agree with you however if this had happend in the UK she would have got shafted, still she dosent so good on her

5. If this had happened in the UK, she'd probably already be in the shite for not helping the tea-leaves to load up the swag.

Still, she showed remarkable restraint (and admirable courage) in the course she decided to take.

MsG

6. Remarkable. Quick, measured thinking and response. Very well done her!

But I do share the feeling that in the UK she might now be relieved of her gun.

This is what we have come to.

7. Ran this one past a UK lawyer friend, with a particular interest in firearms and self-defence law - - and the news is much worse that I'd thought.

His opinion, based on this report, is that in the UK she'd be guilty of having used disproportionate force, as the intruder seemingly wasn't armed or representing a threat to her personally.

He also apparently offered to leave empty-handed, so he'd have a good action against her for false imprisonment, aggravated by use of a gun.

If she had been a UK handgun owner prior to the general prohibition of 1997, when we lost all but black-powder handguns, she'd almost certainly have been acting in breach of her FAC conditions, limiting handgun use to approved ranges only.

So - several reasons why she'd now be gunless and in trouble.

Fine country, eh?

8. Brilliant!!

I love the line- "She had to balance on her walker as she pulled out a snub-nosed .38-caliber handgun."

That'll be a neat scenario in future IPSICC shoots!

9. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

Among the many other differences between our Countries, it makes me VERY happy to be an American citizen and living in the USA! :wink:

10. "Two nations divided by a common language" (Oscar Wilde) - and by wildly differing laws on guns and the defence of private property.

"An Englishman's [Welshman's/Scotsman's/N. Irishman's] home is his castle" - but only up to a point.

T_W : incoming re sporting rifles later this week. I am away on a task at present.

11. I can see it now from some spineless prosecution lawyer,

M'lord this viscous evil woman detained my poor innocent client.................

She should of got her monies worth and shot his b*lls off.

The Pikey thieving Bar steward.

Good on her

12. It gets even WORSE re UK law.

I'm now advised the intruder could also have a civil case, if he demonstrated to the Court's satisfaction that her shooting and general waving-about of a gun had induced extreme fear or terror in him, or any form of PTSD. Or if the shooting had damaged his hearing.

So we have a woman who's disarmed, prosecuted for excessive reaction, breach of the firearms laws, possible kidnapping/unlawful detention - and nobbled in the civil courts for stress and hearing loss.

Great ol' country . . . :? 8) :evil: 8O :( :oops: