Mish mash

Chaps, I have been trying to find a publication I lost a few years ago given to me by Dad. It's a SHAEF publication that originally came in paperback Black fronted with the SHEAF badge on the front and was to do with the planning for Overlord and subsequent occupation, but I can't for the life of Me remember the name. I done a bit of reference searching but nothing matches my memory and I'm wondering if the description jogs anyone's memory.

Secondly I've just been going through some old Photos dad took of the M/C Scrambling team Hanomag Saints in Hannover c 1950. One is annotated with the name Jimmy Ireland. Can anyone shed any light on who Jimmy Ireland was and was he somehow related to the racer Innis Ireland who I think served in Malaya?

As a finisher I have a Photo of My Aunt with the Scrambler Frank Hodgeson of the Newcastle Magpies in 1949. Since dad was posted in Germany at the time I'm trying to piece together who was doing what as I also have a few other photos that make no sense sequentially. Any assistance would be welcome.

goodoldboy

MIA
Book Reviewer
Chaps, I have been trying to find a publication I lost a few years ago given to me by Dad. It's a SHAEF publication that originally came in paperback Black fronted with the SHEAF badge on the front and was to do with the planning for Overlord and subsequent occupation, but I can't for the life of Me remember the name. I done a bit of reference searching but nothing matches my memory and I'm wondering if the description jogs anyone's memory.

Secondly I've just been going through some old Photos dad took of the M/C Scrambling team Hanomag Saints in Hannover c 1950. One is annotated with the name Jimmy Ireland. Can anyone shed any light on who Jimmy Ireland was and was he somehow related to the racer Innis Ireland who I think served in Malaya?

As a finisher I have a Photo of My Aunt with the Scrambler Frank Hodgeson of the Newcastle Magpies in 1949. Since dad was posted in Germany at the time I'm trying to piece together who was doing what as I also have a few other photos that make no sense sequentially. Any assistance would be welcome.
Any help?

Born in Middlesbrough, Hodgson's first job in speedway was as a sign-writer at Hackney Wick in 1935.[1][2] He had previously competed in grasstrack racing, and his early speedway experience was gained with the Amateur Riders' Club in Dagenham in 1936, where he also worked in the Ford factory.[2] He signed for Nottingham in 1937, returning to Hackney Wick as a rider later that year.[1] He was captain of Hackney's team in the second division in 1938 and 1939, before his career was interrupted by World War II, in which he served in the Royal Air Force.[1] In 1946 he rode for Middlesbrough Bears, whom he also captained, his brother Jack also a member of the team.[1] A fractured spine at the start of the season kept him out of speedway for two months, but he returned later in the season, winning a round of the British Riders' Championship, and leading his team to the Northern League title.[1][2]

He later moved on to Newcastle Diamonds and then in 1950 to Glasgow Tigers, missing the start of the 1952 season after falling from a ladder and breaking a rib.[3]

Hodgson's son Russ and grandson Russell "Rusty" Hodgson both followed him into careers in speedway.

Firstly, was the book entitled 'Normandy to the Baltic' by Field Marshall Montgomery?

Secondly, there is a chap called Ireland riding with the Saints in 1950, in 1951 he is listed as LCpl Jimmy Ireland.

Firstly, was the book entitled 'Normandy to the Baltic' by Field Marshall Montgomery?

Secondly, there is a chap called Ireland riding with the Saints in 1950, in 1951 he is listed as LCpl Jimmy Ireland.
Thanks for the response, but No It wasn't by Montgomery that I recall, though he may have had an input. The Paperback was A5 size but was a SHAEF publication. I've trawled through what I could find including NATO ones but nothings ringing a bell, but I'm wondering if it was a specifically military publication with the Americans in mind. Maybe it came out in various guises
As to part two that's good . I know dad had a motorcycle prewar he definately had a penchant for motor sport. Apart from the Scrambling I also have a few shots of Le Mans in 1955, that was just before we left Germany. I'll try and post the three pictures if that's of any use. I did discover a silent Pathe Newsreel of what could be the same event filmed because the QM was present. That would equate to QB 1950. Any idea who he was serving with?

**SNIP**
I strongly suspect this is what you are refering to:

Eisenhower, Dwight D. Report by the Supreme Commander to the Combined Chiefs of Staff on the Operations in Europe of the Allied Expeditionary Force 6 June 1944 to 8 May 1945. His Majesty´s Stationery Office, London, 1946

When I find my copy, I'll put up an image

Thanks for the response, but No It wasn't by Montgomery that I recall, though he may have had an input. The Paperback was A5 size but was a SHAEF publication. I've trawled through what I could find including NATO ones but nothings ringing a bell, but I'm wondering if it was a specifically military publication with the Americans in mind. Maybe it came out in various guises
As to part two that's good . I know dad had a motorcycle prewar he definately had a penchant for motor sport. Apart from the Scrambling I also have a few shots of Le Mans in 1955, that was just before we left Germany. I'll try and post the three pictures if that's of any use. I did discover a silent Pathe Newsreel of what could be the same event filmed because the QM was present. That would equate to QB 1950. Any idea who he was serving with?
If you want to pm me a family name feel free to do so.

I will look later and will put up a decent reference for you to get if you wish.

Eisenhower, Dwight D. Report by the Supreme Commander to the Combined Chiefs of Staff on the Operations in Europe of the Allied Expeditionary Force 6 June 1944 to 8 May 1945. His Majesty´s Stationery Office, London, 1946

I hope that's what it is- I was absolutely disappointed to have lost it as it contained so much original material which are in themselves source. Thanks for that.

If you want to pm me a family name feel free to do so.

I will look later and will put up a decent reference for you to get if you wish.
Thanks, I'm just off to bowls, I tell you what , I have memory of a program somewhere, if I can find it I'll see if that is the same. If so I'll post it up. Were you interested in Scrambling then?

Thanks, I'm just off to bowls, I tell you what , I have memory of a program somewhere, if I can find it I'll see if that is the same. If so I'll post it up. Were you interested in Scrambling then?
Not interested too much in scrambling however my last unit had a very successful team.

I do appreciate well built kit though such as older trucks, Nortons and Matchless bikes etc.
Travelling around occasionally with @Joshua Slocum helps with that, he knows his bikes!

Seriously though, what is the reference to QB 1950?

Not interested too much in scrambling however my last unit had a very successful team.

I do appreciate well built kit though such as older trucks, Nortons and Matchless bikes etc.
Travelling around occasionally with @Joshua Slocum helps with that, he knows his bikes!

Seriously though, what is the reference to QB 1950?
Queens Birthday 1950. Dad took some photos of that Parade in Hanover.

Queens Birthday 1950. Dad took some photos of that Parade in Hanover.
Of course....

I think a copy of this book will be right up your street:

It literally covers everything from lists of riders to a chapter devoted to the Saints. Lots of pictures too that may jog a few memories.

Here is a review that does it better justice than i can:

Let me know if i can help and if it jogs some memories post them up!

Just read a bit more, Jimmy Ireland is listed as a Cpl in 1950, Speedway certainly helped his career!

Of course....

I think a copy of this book will be right up your street:

It literally covers everything from lists of riders to a chapter devoted to the Saints. Lots of pictures too that may jog a few memories.

Here is a review that does it better justice than i can:

Let me know if i can help and if it jogs some memories post them up!
Excellent, might treat myself. I’ll dig out the photos and post them FW T W .

Just found and ordered. Much obliged. Herzlichen Dank.
thanks both

Any help?

Born in Middlesbrough, Hodgson's first job in speedway was as a sign-writer at Hackney Wick in 1935.[1][2] He had previously competed in grasstrack racing, and his early speedway experience was gained with the Amateur Riders' Club in Dagenham in 1936, where he also worked in the Ford factory.[2] He signed for Nottingham in 1937, returning to Hackney Wick as a rider later that year.[1] He was captain of Hackney's team in the second division in 1938 and 1939, before his career was interrupted by World War II, in which he served in the Royal Air Force.[1] In 1946 he rode for Middlesbrough Bears, whom he also captained, his brother Jack also a member of the team.[1] A fractured spine at the start of the season kept him out of speedway for two months, but he returned later in the season, winning a round of the British Riders' Championship, and leading his team to the Northern League title.[1][2]

He later moved on to Newcastle Diamonds and then in 1950 to Glasgow Tigers, missing the start of the 1952 season after falling from a ladder and breaking a rib.[3]

Hodgson's son Russ and grandson Russell "Rusty" Hodgson both followed him into careers in speedway.
thanksI have a photo of Hodgeson in wheel chair which would put it somewhere between 46 and 47, holding (probably his son Russ). This is not annotated but there is. Photo of him which Dad has noted is With his sister, my aunt Betty, and Hodgeson in Newcastle Magpies jacket which can only be 1949. My Aunt married c 1947 so my guess is that she may have known him personally. Since Dad was in Germany from 1947, that when he met my mum I’m intrigued is Scrambling was a family interest.

Just read a bit more, Jimmy Ireland is listed as a Cpl in 1950, Speedway certainly helped his career!
I had a fleeting thought that he was related to Innes Ireland.

Here goes, items 1 and 5 the Adac Pits of the Hanomag saints
Item 2 L/Cpl Ireland at full chat
item 3 Hodgeson in wheelchair with Son Russ
Item 4 Hodgeson with my Aunt Betty in NewC Magpies kit

Attachments

I had a fleeting thought that he was related to Innes Ireland.

Here goes, items 1 and 5 the Adac Pits of the Hanomag saints
Item 2 L/Cpl Ireland at full chat
item 3 Hodgeson in wheelchair with Son Russ
Item 4 Hodgeson with my Aunt Betty in NewC Magpies kit
The book I linked to earlier is packed full of photos like these.

Latest Threads