Misguided and Bored

:roll: Motivation and morale is low at the mo. i joined the corps as a Tp Comd to command fine men and go on loads of tours. Instead, while every other bast*rd gets to go away I instead fight the war against poor discipline, drunkeness and ATRAs c*ck ups in camp like the hardcore REMF I didn't want to be. :(

Rant over.

Any thoughts?

Darth_Doctrinus said:
Transfer to someone that does go on lots of ops - and actually contains 'fine men'?
You have my vote.

(What's with R-J?)

Darth_Doctrinus said:
He is my former boss and my idol - top chap all round!
Couldn't agree more. Without wishing to start a 'R-J is my Hero' type thread I would say that the man is hugely underestimated and well worth another star....

recce-cpl said:
Join the QDG , full of fine men , lots of medals and ops . Telic 8 on its way 3 iraq tours in 3 years .
I'll bet parliment didn't put that on the reply which was posted last week on the amount of tours each unit has done!

Use your fine leadership skills etc to turn your men into 'fine men'
No such thing as a bad unit,only bad officers.

Hat20 said:
Not sure about the bad unit bad officers bit - bad NCO's possibly. Officers are not around when the boys are down the pub. Discipline must be applied by the JNCO's leaving the seniors and officer free to sort out the ATRAs c*ck ups.

dpcw said:
Hat20 said:
Not sure about the bad unit bad officers bit - bad NCO's possibly. Officers are not around when the boys are down the pub. Discipline must be applied by the JNCO's leaving the seniors and officer free to sort out the ATRAs c*ck ups.
As I say bad officers.

:lol:

Splitting hairs - but accepted. Does that mean I can put on my CV "ex-officer in HM forces"?

happy_as_a_hat said:
i joined the corps as a Tp Comd to command fine men and go on loads of tours.

There will come a time when you'll get fed up with tours..... usually after your wife & kids have gone and you're sat in the Mess as a crusty old singly, living out of an MFO box.

Be careful what you wish for!

getting back to the thread: here's an idea H A A H, book yourself on a ridiculous course. P Coy or the Cdo Cse should suffice but try SF selection if you must. At the end whatever you choose you'll be far better suited to decide whether you want a life of daring do or are happy to be tucked inside your comfort zone and occasionally bored.

happy_as_a_hat said:
:roll: Motivation and morale is low at the mo. i joined the corps as a Tp Comd to command fine men and go on loads of tours. Instead, while every other bast*rd gets to go away I instead fight the war against poor discipline, drunkeness and ATRAs c*ck ups in camp like the hardcore REMF I didn't want to be. :(

Rant over.

Any thoughts?
My signature says it all!

happy_as_a_hat said:

Rant over.

Any thoughts?
Put your blanky down, get a grip and do something about it apart from wasting time on here.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
happy_as_a_hat said:

Rant over.

Any thoughts?
Well my thoughts - welcome as they always are - go along the lines of:

You really should try to curb your drinking and improve your discipline :lol: :wink: .

happy_as_a_hat said:

Rant over.

Any thoughts?
"They also serve who only......."
"Keep the home fires burning...."
If you want to abandon the poor soldiers under your command rather than elevating them and their performance, then volunteer to deploy as an augmentee. You may find some reluctance from your OC (Clue, if he willingly endorses your chit he has likewise spotted your slump in motivation of late....) but a volunteer cannot be denied.

Mmm, tried the augmentee thing and got told where to shove it...the penalty statement had already been sent without me even being informed the job was going!

Anyway, morale slowly increasing with the onset of the weekend...

Can understand your frustration HAAH, but rest assured, what goes around comes around. I had 3 tours and SAIF SAREEA in four years, but now haven't deployed since early 2003. Rickshaw is right, at the moment your responsibility is to those you command. Work for them and make the most of your 'free time' - it won't last much longer than your current tour.