• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Misconceptions

Had a conversation about a mate,who's about 5'7",10 st wet thru,and in his 50s..but who's one of the handiest blokes i know,who recently due to his "normal" features,was started on whilst out with his missus,by 3 brave Gypsys(here i go again ,bringing Gypo's into it).unluckily for them,they never knew the old adage of "never judge a book by its cover"anyway the rsult was 2 x sleeping on the footpath pikeys and one with shit-stained pants ,moonwalking away at high speed.Got me thinking?ive known many Big hard lads,from my time in the army,lads lobbing 96lb shells up the breach of an M109 like there a bag of sugar(not that you'd put sugar up the breach)and lads in civvy strasse,on the doors and gyms etc.Recall as a junior leader,a troop sgt arriving from 29 cdo ,the guy was about 5'4"(or whatever the min height must have been??) and perhaps 8/9 stone,but with his agressive jock accent,green lid,dagger and wings,he got us young uns shitting ourselves,turned out to be a really nice guy,and must have had some hard times,proving himself?.on the other side,in regt in Germany,i represented the regt T-O-W team along with a giant of 6'10" and 23 st,imaginitavely named "Tiny" who was one of the softest lads i ever met!(i also have the bad look of working with one now in civvy,who's a bell-end and realises his size means jack shit,but thats another story) who's your misconceptions,from your time in green,who have proved themselves,perhaps in a David and Goliath manner.

Preconception surely ?

pre·con·cep·tion (prkn-spshn)
n.
An opinion or conception formed in advance of adequate knowledge or experience, especially a prejudice or bias

I know what you mean though, we used to have an engineer at my last job, 6 foot + rugby player, I didnt speak to him for months as I thought he'd rip my head off in an amusing rugby playing manner. Turned out he was the softest pussy in the factory.

Had a conversation about a mate,who's about 5'7",10 st wet thru,and in his 50s..but who's one of the handiest blokes i know,who recently due to his "normal" features,was started on whilst out with his missus,by 3 brave Gypsys(here i go again ,bringing Gypo's into it).unluckily for them,they never knew the old adage of "never judge a book by its cover"anyway the rsult was 2 x sleeping on the footpath pikeys and one with shit-stained pants ,moonwalking away at high speed.Got me thinking?ive known many Big hard lads,from my time in the army,lads lobbing 96lb shells up the breach of an M109 like there a bag of sugar(not that you'd put sugar up the breach)and lads in civvy strasse,on the doors and gyms etc.Recall as a junior leader,a troop sgt arriving from 29 cdo ,the guy was about 5'4"(or whatever the min height must have been??) and perhaps 8/9 stone,but with his agressive jock accent,green lid,dagger and wings,he got us young uns shitting ourselves,turned out to be a really nice guy,and must have had some hard times,proving himself?.on the other side,in regt in Germany,i represented the regt T-O-W team along with a giant of 6'10" and 23 st,imaginitavely named "Tiny" who was one of the softest lads i ever met!(i also have the bad look of working with one now in civvy,who's a bell-end and realises his size means jack shit,but thats another story) who's your misconceptions,from your time in green,who have proved themselves,perhaps in a David and Goliath manner.
Was he a medic? If so, refer to my thread in RAMC/QARANC...

I'm 6'1 tall and pretty well built - so much so before now had someone jump out on me (with knife in hand) to mug me, take one look then jump back again. (thank god!)
I was also an immediate candidate for T O W & rugby, despite a complete lack of skill at either - however, I am widely regarded as "nice" (behind my back that may be pronounced "soft as shite"). So much so I was even told once it was the reason for non-promotion.
In contrast my old self defence instructor looked like an ancient, stooped, one-eyed, dribbling bafoon of a man, barely qualified to drive a broom - yet could have me flying through the air in about 2 pico-seconds.

i represented the regt T-O-W team along with a giant of 6'10" and 23 st,imaginitavely named "Tiny" who was one of the softest lads i ever met!
23 stone on a Tug of War team?! What weight category were you in 'Frigate' :D Unless you had some emaciated, stick insects on the squad aswell.

I find that blokes who actually are hard are the ones that don't act the hard man. It's the ones that act hard who usually aren't that hard.
I know a perfect example of that. Someone with the initials S T G who is shit scared of my dog (and me and Scoobs), but I can't put his full name on here because he knows where I live.

Annotated Mythbusters: Episode 97: Plane on a Conveyor Belt, Cockroach Survival, Shaving Foam Shenanigans

Setup
•Cobalt 60 radiation source at Pacific Northwest Laboratory
•Plastic boxes to hold insects (aka "Holiday End")
•50 flour beetles per test
•100 fruit flies per test
•50 german cockroaches per test
Michelle Johnson told them that the PNL's Cobalt 60 was capable of delivering 55,000 rads/hr, which is lethal to humans in 10 minutes (1000 rads is the lethal dose).

Test and count
They exposed the three different sets of bugs at 1000 rads, 10,000 rads, and 100,000 rads. The bugs in the 1000 rads and 10,000 rads tests appeared fine but 90% of the cockroaches in the 100,000 rads group immediately died. To evaluate the longer term affects of the test on the insects, they took them home along with a control group that hadn't been exposed. They monitored the insects over the next 30 days and counted how many died.

Cockroaches (50) Fruit Flies (100) Flour beetles (50)
Day 2 15 30 2 15 30 2 15 30
100,000 rad 100% 100% 100% 60% 100% 100% 10% 50% 90%
10,000 rad 20% 50% 70% 40% 100% 100% 6% 16% 40%
1,000 rad 10% 30% 50% 30% 100% 100% 2% 10% 26%
Control 0% 10% 30% 0% 100% 100% 0% 6% 10%

Based on these results, the cockroaches clearly weren't the best survivors of a nuclear blast. They are quite hardy, able to survive radiation doses at 10,000 rads, which is 10x the lethal dose for humans. However, the flour beetles did much better and the fruit flies might have done better if their normal lifespan wasn't 30 days.

I find that blokes who actually are hard are the ones that don't act the hard man. It's the ones that act hard who usually aren't that hard.
very true Fally...known a lot of quiet non-intimidating,grey men who ARE the real deal..unfortunately also know a lot of plastic idiots,who think a bit of gear or natural size makes them the ultimate brawler...pathetic really.

very true Fally...known a lot of quiet non-intimidating,grey men who ARE the real deal..unfortunately also know a lot of plastic idiots,who think a bit of gear or natural size makes them the ultimate brawler...pathetic really.
Not a new thing I suppose--back in the day when on selection staff for our version of THEM (milquetoast comparison I know) and it was almost a 1 to 1 correlation between the successful operator and a relatively "quiet" demeanor. The blowhards and drunks usually were sorted and gone early on when they started whining if things did not always go "their" way.

And I agree that Fally is one of the harder interweb commandos (right up there with CQMS. ;-) ). It often makes me wonder if he is also seconded to the various ally airsoft forums.

Matron--can you please change the telly channel?

Latest Threads