Misconceptions

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by BROCKS, Dec 27, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Had a conversation about a mate,who's about 5'7",10 st wet thru,and in his 50s..but who's one of the handiest blokes i know,who recently due to his "normal" features,was started on whilst out with his missus,by 3 brave Gypsys(here i go again ,bringing Gypo's into it).unluckily for them,they never knew the old adage of "never judge a book by its cover"anyway the rsult was 2 x sleeping on the footpath pikeys and one with shit-stained pants ,moonwalking away at high speed.Got me thinking?ive known many Big hard lads,from my time in the army,lads lobbing 96lb shells up the breach of an M109 like there a bag of sugar(not that you'd put sugar up the breach)and lads in civvy strasse,on the doors and gyms etc.Recall as a junior leader,a troop sgt arriving from 29 cdo ,the guy was about 5'4"(or whatever the min height must have been??) and perhaps 8/9 stone,but with his agressive jock accent,green lid,dagger and wings,he got us young uns shitting ourselves,turned out to be a really nice guy,and must have had some hard times,proving himself?.on the other side,in regt in Germany,i represented the regt T-O-W team along with a giant of 6'10" and 23 st,imaginitavely named "Tiny" who was one of the softest lads i ever met!(i also have the bad look of working with one now in civvy,who's a bell-end and realises his size means jack shit,but thats another story) who's your misconceptions,from your time in green,who have proved themselves,perhaps in a David and Goliath manner.

2. Preconception surely ?

pre·con·cep·tion (prkn-spshn)
    n.
    An opinion or conception formed in advance of adequate knowledge or experience, especially a prejudice or bias

3. cheers for that..im just a thick cunt! obviously been brayed by too many little fellas trying to prove themselves? ;)

4. I know what you mean though, we used to have an engineer at my last job, 6 foot + rugby player, I didnt speak to him for months as I thought he'd rip my head off in an amusing rugby playing manner. Turned out he was the softest pussy in the factory.

5. Was he a medic? If so, refer to my thread in RAMC/QARANC...

6. No mate he was a gunner,large as life but soft as shite..could imagine every regt has got a giant named tiny tho eh?

7. I'm 6'1 tall and pretty well built - so much so before now had someone jump out on me (with knife in hand) to mug me, take one look then jump back again. (thank god!)
    I was also an immediate candidate for T O W & rugby, despite a complete lack of skill at either - however, I am widely regarded as "nice" (behind my back that may be pronounced "soft as shite"). So much so I was even told once it was the reason for non-promotion.
    In contrast my old self defence instructor looked like an ancient, stooped, one-eyed, dribbling bafoon of a man, barely qualified to drive a broom - yet could have me flying through the air in about 2 pico-seconds.

8. I'm hard as fuck. Well on the internet I am anyway. I'm probably the hardest internet bloke on the internet.

9. 23 stone on a Tug of War team?! What weight category were you in 'Frigate' :D Unless you had some emaciated, stick insects on the squad aswell.

10. I find that blokes who actually are hard are the ones that don't act the hard man. It's the ones that act hard who usually aren't that hard.

11. I know a perfect example of that. Someone with the initials S T G who is shit scared of my dog (and me and Scoobs), but I can't put his full name on here because he knows where I live.

12. That is an utter dogshit example.

13. The hardest motherfuckers of all. They laugh in the face of nuclear holocausts.

[​IMG]

14. Wasn't that factoid debunked?

15. Annotated Mythbusters: Episode 97: Plane on a Conveyor Belt, Cockroach Survival, Shaving Foam Shenanigans