Mirrorless DSLR

I am considering splashing out on a mirrorless DSLR but without spending stupid money.

My budget is around the £600-700 mark at maximum.

I like my Canon and Pentaxes and would be interested to hear anyone's experience between standard and mirrorless systems and what I can expect to pay.

Check out the Panasonic LUMIX G range. I bought aG1 in 2009 and last year upgraded to a G80. Yes there is the G9 and G90 but the G80 is more well within your budget. Great kit and a range of lenses. Small and stunning results. Lots of others but I like my LUMIX and would not change now

daz

LE
Check out the Panasonic LUMIX G range. I bought aG1 in 2009 and last year upgraded to a G80. Yes there is the G9 and G90 but the G80 is more well within your budget. Great kit and a range of lenses. Small and stunning results. Lots of others but I like my LUMIX and would not change now
Any recommendation as to lens to go with the body?

I have the 12-60. Like the body it’s supposed to be weather proof. They come as a kit. Panasonic do a vertical battery grip but it is £300. I bought a clone off Amazon that gives me vertical buttons an extra battery on board and improves the handling (£40). I must say the standard zoom is excellent. I also have a 45-200 and am looking for either a as 20 or 25mm 1.7 about £160 and 120 respectively used.

With that sort of budget I'd be looking at the Fuji X-T10/20/30etc range.

It's their 'entry' level with changeable lenses but a pretty phenomenal bit of kit.

That price should get you a body and an 18-55 lens (on up from the basic kit).

I should say that I still use film and particularly like doing B/W, but I also have a cheap end 12 MPx Canon DSLR which I find overly bulky although it has a 300mm lens which is good for some of my sports photography stuff.

The reason that I'm looking at mirrorless is the smaller size for similar performance. Minimum of 20 MPx and a standard zoom plus a long zoom. I've not really investigated mirrorless in any depth but was quite taken by a Sony A7 in Jessops [£899]:

Sony a7 Mirrorless Camera with 28-70mm Lens - Jessops

Although the lesser specified Fujifil X-A5 (ex display at £310) looked like a bargain:

Fujifilm X-A5 Mirrorless Camera In Dark Silver with XC15-45mm Lens and XC50-230mm f/4.5-6.7 OIS II Lens - Ex Display - Jessops

DAS

War Hero
I've an Olympus EM-5 which now the EM-5iii is out, might get replaced with an EM-5ii. Regardless the image quality is amazing and the lenses are superb. Especially love my 12-40mm F2.8 but I also use an old manual 180mm OM lens, also F2.8
The best aspect though is probably the IBIS (In Body Image Stabilisation). I've tripods gathering dust now as I can hand hold to stupidly slow shutter speeds if I want and get very good results.
_DAS0503BandW_tn.jpg

A2_Matelot

LE
Book Reviewer
I am considering splashing out on a mirrorless DSLR but without spending stupid money.

My budget is around the £600-700 mark at maximum.

I like my Canon and Pentaxes and would be interested to hear anyone's experience between standard and mirrorless systems and what I can expect to pay.
I moved from a Canon SLR last year to a Sony A7rii mirrorless. Outside your declared pride bracket but I'm blown way by it's ability.

I think it's very much an Apple/Android or Mercedes/BMW type debate where personal preferences and choice are key as there is so much in common between the various offerings. I'd just suggest go out and physically hold them, try the menus (the Sony system is pants but you do get used to it) - look at the cost of lens and adapters (if you want to retain glass) and how find how they use batteries.

You'll love their stabilisation, high ISO low noise characteristics! I'm sure whatever you choose it'll be great.

I have the Sony a6000 have had it for 6 years it has been superseded by the a6400 & the a6600
Nice compact camera and it does the job for me as a happy snapper rather than a pro.

I've an Olympus EM-5 which now the EM-5iii is out, might get replaced with an EM-5ii. Regardless the image quality is amazing and the lenses are superb. Especially love my 12-40mm F2.8 but I also use an old manual 180mm OM lens, also F2.8
The best aspect though is probably the IBIS (In Body Image Stabilisation). I've tripods gathering dust now as I can hand hold to stupidly slow shutter speeds if I want and get very good results.
View attachment 448469
Olympus have decided to get out of the camera market.

Olympus quits camera business after 84 years
Olympus is now seeking to strike a deal to carve off the camera part of its business so that its brands - such as Zuiko lenses - can be used in new products by another firm, Japan Industrial Partners.​
My last camera purchases were a couple of little compact and a 4/3 E510 DSLR. The compacts are long gone via ebay and the E510 sits in its Olympus rucksack with lenses and flash and all the gubbins, rarely looked at, never mind used.

Smartphones with there ever improving cameras have a lot to answer for.

DAS

War Hero
I don't see phone cameras as that great to be honest. Several of the big companies, Apple being one have been found out in their advertising with DSLR images shown as their own products product. Will keep an eye out for any bargains with today's news

I don't see phone cameras as that great to be honest. Several of the big companies, Apple being one have been found out in their advertising with DSLR images shown as their own products product. Will keep an eye out for any bargains with today's news
I am sure that not many serious photographers see phone cameras as great but by and large, they have all but killed sales of the compact and bridge digital cameras with the DSLR market not far behind.

DSLR and Mirrorless will become the preserve of the professionals and the serious amateurs but that is a tiny market in the grand scheme of things.

For most, their omnipresent smartphone does the job of camera, video camera, photo viewer and many other things to boot, all in a single convenient and easy to use package.

I have a clutch of 35mm SLRs too (mostly Minolta) but they will never ever take a picture again - replaced by compacts and a DSLR which in turn have been replaced by my iPhone and even my iPad on occasion. I can’t quite bring myself to get shot of them though. No doubt my son and heir will have the whole lot on Ebay faster than a Formula 1 action shot.

Interesting article here from August 2019...

• Shipment of digital camera dropped by 74.8% in June 2019, compared to June 2018
  • There are no signs the situation may get better
  • DSLR shipments have dropped by 56.8% compared to 2018
  • Mirrorless camera shipments have dropped by 79.8% compared to 2018
  • Lens shipment has dropped by 67.1% compared to last year
  • Compact camera shipments have dropped by 88.2% compared to last year
Compact cameras have dropped by over 88 percent because of the iPhone

Last edited:
I've got a full frame Nikon SLR and a Fuji Mirrorless camera with built in image stabilisation

They both have their uses, but beware once you start putting pro lenses on a mirrorless the weight starts to creep up

It won't be as heavy as SLR lenses for the equivalent, but if you pick up a mirrorless with kit lenses, it will be a shock when you move on the more expensive ones

I still use both systems, for shooting landscapes it's an age thing, if I'm going to be walking all day the less weight going on my knees the better, a carbon fibre tripod and a mirrorless camera help a lot

If I want to shoot sports, wildlife, or in clubs with flash I reach for my full frame SLR

Latest Threads