Mirror, setting things straight...........?

Whining know all 'Col Stewart' take note,learn to find facts before opening big gob on TV because you crave the airtime etc.
Well done that Marine,says it all for what it was-horseplay.
Case put to rest hopefully.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/tm_obj...as-that-rookie-ko-d-by-marines-name_page.html

9 December 2005
EXCLUSIVE: I WAS THAT ROOKIE KO'D BY MARINES
By Richard Smith
THE Marine kicked unconscious in a naked initiation scrap said yesterday he was NOT bullied and the man who floored him was a "good mate".

Hard man Ray Simmons, 23, said: "The bloke who kicked me in the head is one of the nicest guys in the company. He's going through hell for one mistake but we all make mistakes and I don't hold a grudge.

"It's been claimed I was the victim of ritual abuse but that's untrue. I was p****d. Nobody forced me to do anything. The idea was to go naked and make a prat of yourself. It was just a game that went too far.

"People will think loads of men getting naked is a bit gay but we don't care what others think. It's just Marine humour."

Ray's live-in lover Sarah Fitchford, 22, added: "At first I was shocked but I know it wasn't a malicious act. It was high jinks. Boys will be boys."
Voice of the Mirror: Page 6

theGimp

Yes , the NCO of the unit that he'd recently joined is his best mate. Of course he is. That's perfectly normal. As is a kick in the face for horseplay.

Glad the topic's drifting off the media radar, hope lessons have been learned.

Voice of the Mirror: Page 6
Any chance of posting what the editorial said??

Pox_Dr said:
Funny how this didnt make the front page of the SCUM
No they had no room left cause they were too busy slagging off us crabs
scum

I've tried to get it off the papers site but I'm on a syeam powered computer which keeps packing in!!
Perhaps some one with broadband could sort it out

theGimp

VOICE OF THE MIRROR: ( as requested)

PICTURES of the Royal Marines engaged in naked antics shocked almost everyone who saw them.

Especially the one of a young commando being kicked in the head by a sergeant.

But it wasn't what it seemed. And the person who says so is the man who got the kicking, Ray Simmons.

Today he tells the Daily Mirror that it was not bullying, just a bit of fun at the end of their gruelling training.

He even goes so far as to say: "The bloke who kicked me in the head is one of the nicest guys in the company."

That doesn't get away from the damage done to the image of the Marines in particular and the British Army in general.

But it does go a long way to explain what life is like for them - and how they need an escape valve to let off steam.

There is a line over which their horseplay should not cross. Especially when there is still deep disquiet over the deaths of four young squaddies at Deepcut.

But Ray Simmons makes it clear that not all those on the end of strange rituals are victims.

As long as the army can stop the line being crossed, they can carry on with their ceremonies.

seems the Army is responsible for the marines now ! :)

VOICE OF THE MIRROR said:
BEATING A RETREAT
9 December 2005

PICTURES of the Royal Marines engaged in naked antics shocked almost everyone who saw them.

Especially the one of a young commando being kicked in the head by a sergeant.

But it wasn't what it seemed. And the person who says so is the man who got the kicking, Ray Simmons.

Today he tells the Daily Mirror that it was not bullying, just a bit of fun at the end of their gruelling training.

He even goes so far as to say: "The bloke who kicked me in the head is one of the nicest guys in the company."

That doesn't get away from the damage done to the image of the Marines in particular and the British Army in general.

But it does go a long way to explain what life is like for them - and how they need an escape valve to let off steam.

There is a line over which their horseplay should not cross. Especially when there is still deep disquiet over the deaths of four young squaddies at Deepcut.

But Ray Simmons makes it clear that not all those on the end of strange rituals are victims.

As long as the army can stop the line being crossed, they can carry on with their ceremonies.
D'oh, too slow, but I'm pished & mine's prettier than Saracen's! :mrgreen:

shiny_arse said:
Pox_Dr said:
Funny how this didnt make the front page of the SCUM
No they had no room left cause they were too busy slagging off us crabs
scum
Yet another non-story sensationalised (sorry, 'made accessible') and served up by The Scum to its slack-jawed 'readers' as if it were newsworthy. A/c from Valley are always on training flights (it's a training unit, after all), and often visit other stations. Taking people for air experience flights is a common occurrence, and hardly front-page news, even if the pax is Prince William. Still, I suppose that as New Labour's house publication The Scum wouldn't want to miss the chance to take a pop at both the Forces and the Royal Family.

Though an 'exclusive' (of course it is, who else would care?), I see this tale is not important enough to have troubled the crayon of Tom Newton-Dung.

Cheers for that

You're right there, not heard the Navy mentioned once. Just arrse journalism

theGimp

I hope for his sake that he talked to the Mirror with the permission of the Press Office, or he will likely fall foul of the new 'thou shalt not talk to journo scum' DCI. :(

This is all well and good - but who the feck took the film in the first place? And WTF was he doing giving it an airing in the meeja? He needs to put in front of the nearest kangeroo court immediatly and have his 'nads squished firmly in a vice whilst having a broom stick covered in boot polish shoved up his bum!