Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mirror: "'Beat The Bullies' Hotline Launched In Bid To Stamp Out Abuse In Armed Forces"

soleil

War Hero
"British military commanders are launching a “beat the bullies” hotline in a bid to smash sexual harassment, racial discrimination and other abuse in the Armed Forces.

It follows a shock survey showing that amongst 250,000 military personnel as many as 12% had suffered abuse, with just half lodging a formal complaint.

Most feared nothing would be done about it, half believed that complaining would badly effect their defence careers and 30% were worried about the complaints procedure.

Recently Britain's most senior military officer General Sir Nick Carter vowed to stamp out troops' “laddish culture,” focusing on sexism and racism.

The fully-staffed “beat the bullies” emergency line will operate 24 hours a-day, will be run by anti-bully counsellors, experts and discrimination advisers offering support to callers.

It launches in September and is a huge development in Britain's Armed Forces which have tried for years to catch up with the diversity and improved attitudes in society.

It also follows key recommendations from Air Chief Marshal Mike Wigston's far-reaching report into troops' behaviour last year slamming an “unacceptable level of inappropriate behaviour.”

Yesterday Secretary for Defence Ben Wallace said: “Our personnel selflessly serve our nation day in and day out, and they deserve to be treated equally, with dignity and respect, both on and off duty.

“I want everyone to feel proud to be part of this team.There is simply no place for bullying or harassment in our Armed Forces and I’m determined to stamp this out.

“Our anti-bullying helpline is an important next step and I will continue to seek the change in behaviour we need to see across defence.”

Included in the new anti-bullying drive commanders are issuing detailed and updated guidance on sexual harassment, advising how to identify it and what to do if they witness it.

The Army has trained many troops to become “allies” of minority groups, encouraging them to stand up to racist bullies and challenge their behaviour if they witness it.

In the Royal Navy sailors have been made to undergo mandatory training on avoiding being bullies and the RAF has launched a mentoring programme.

Veterans Minister Johnny Mercer said: “Inappropriate behaviour will not be tolerated and this new helpline will allow personnel to report incidents in a safe and secure environment.

“By staffing the helpline with trained advisors and counsellors outside of the chain of command, we will ensure concerns are dealt with quickly and professionally.”"

So the same kind of thing my civvy employer provides? Nobody’s banged on about that in the press though.

Houseboy

Old-Salt
The most racist, violent and misogynistic soldiers I've ever met were the Fijians of 1 PWRR when I was based in Tidworth. I suspect Nick Carter won't like that.

"British military commanders are launching a “beat the bullies” hotline in a bid to smash sexual harassment, racial discrimination and other abuse in the Armed Forces.

It follows a shock survey showing that amongst 250,000 military personnel as many as 12% had suffered abuse, with just half lodging a formal complaint.

Most feared nothing would be done about it, half believed that complaining would badly effect their defence careers and 30% were worried about the complaints procedure.

Recently Britain's most senior military officer General Sir Nick Carter vowed to stamp out troops' “laddish culture,” focusing on sexism and racism.

The fully-staffed “beat the bullies” emergency line will operate 24 hours a-day, will be run by anti-bully counsellors, experts and discrimination advisers offering support to callers.

It launches in September and is a huge development in Britain's Armed Forces which have tried for years to catch up with the diversity and improved attitudes in society.

It also follows key recommendations from Air Chief Marshal Mike Wigston's far-reaching report into troops' behaviour last year slamming an “unacceptable level of inappropriate behaviour.”

Yesterday Secretary for Defence Ben Wallace said: “Our personnel selflessly serve our nation day in and day out, and they deserve to be treated equally, with dignity and respect, both on and off duty.

“I want everyone to feel proud to be part of this team.There is simply no place for bullying or harassment in our Armed Forces and I’m determined to stamp this out.

“Our anti-bullying helpline is an important next step and I will continue to seek the change in behaviour we need to see across defence.”

Included in the new anti-bullying drive commanders are issuing detailed and updated guidance on sexual harassment, advising how to identify it and what to do if they witness it.

The Army has trained many troops to become “allies” of minority groups, encouraging them to stand up to racist bullies and challenge their behaviour if they witness it.

In the Royal Navy sailors have been made to undergo mandatory training on avoiding being bullies and the RAF has launched a mentoring programme.

Veterans Minister Johnny Mercer said: “Inappropriate behaviour will not be tolerated and this new helpline will allow personnel to report incidents in a safe and secure environment.

“By staffing the helpline with trained advisors and counsellors outside of the chain of command, we will ensure concerns are dealt with quickly and professionally.”"

Snitches get stitches.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

Where did they find 250,000 service personnel? 30,000 bullied? I suppose it depends on the definition of bullying

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
The most racist, violent and misogynistic soldiers I've ever met were the Fijians of 1 PWRR when I was based in Tidworth. I suspect Nick Carter won't like that.

Personally I found it to be the (non Fijian) members of 1 KOSB.
Individually they were generally ok, but get two (or more) together and they would generally try to out Scottish each other.
The bigger the group, the more of a Scottish stereotype they attempted to be and the more anti English (although anyone not Scottish would do as a target, or not from their town, or their end of town) village. Etc)

Personally I found it to be the (non Fijian) members of 1 KOSB.
Individually they were generally ok, but get two (or more) together and they would generally try to out Scottish each other.
The bigger the group, the more of a Scottish stereotype they attempted to be and the more anti English (although anyone not Scottish would do as a target, or not from their town, or their end of town) village. Etc)
As one senior officer once told in years ago about my former unit.

Brilliant & outstanding on Ops
Utter nightmare in Barracks.

Although that could be said for most of the Scots Div & no unit is immune.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
As one senior officer once told in years ago about my former unit.

Brilliant & outstanding on Ops
Utter nightmare in Barracks.

Although that could be said for most of the Scots Div & no unit is immune.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Pretty much what I've said about them many times.

on tour they were excellent (except the QM who insisted we all go out at night during a high sniper/mortar risk period to do a litter sweep by torch and vehicle light)

One of the jocks hit the mortar alarm having seen a flash and heard a bang from his vantage point in one of the sangers, we all spent what felt like ages under hard cover, well in the med centre we were reading the books and eating the snacks we'd taped under the tables). Turns out it wasn't a mortar. Once it was all over all those available were brought out on parade , the lad who hit the button dragged out in front of everyone and it was pointed out that although it wasn't a mortar - he had done exactly the right thing.
had that been 4 Med* he'd have been charged with misuse of military equipment.

outside of a tour it was a different matter, even exercises were a fiasco.

*other poor units are available

CrazyLegs!

War Hero
There is no place for segregation in 2020 - disband the Gurkhas and the Scottish regiments

We can get rid of sex segregated sport as well, and save money.

Latest Threads