minox 8x44 bv stalking binocular review

I'm just starting deer stalking. binoculars were my first purchase while my fac renewal and application for deer rifle is in. im fortunate to have gained a small stately home estate and a mentor. 90% close woodland stalking. set my self a poor man's budget of £300 and read many many reviews wound up spending £209 went for 8x44 as i know they are not primo glass. Absolutely blew my socks off matched far more expensive (1k) glasses and perfect for me with speccy glasses. i was prepared to be disappointed but was stunned. remember every £saved on binoculars can be spent on a scope and rifle. clarity and detail depth of field and low light performance was far far above my expectations at this price. I have used posh glass, invariably 10x42 or 8x42. my minox work slightly better when set up for my eyes with no glasses , but obviously when stalking you can't be taking them off and on when glassing doubt ill miss out on anything due to cheap (ish) binos very surprised and impressed.

Attachments

ugly

LE
I went to America and paid less than half UK price for steiner 8x30. Great for me

ugly

LE
I just bought a set of Vortex Diamondback 10x42. Very clear glass, and they feel quite robust too. I'm very pleased with them so far.

now the scope thinking starts! don't think i can afford a minox. ive always used hawke for fac air and rimfire. like binoculars it would be handy to do some side by side testing

ugly

LE
now the scope thinking starts! don't think i can afford a minox. ive always used hawke for fac air and rimfire. like binoculars it would be handy to do some side by side testing
Look second hand, spend more on glass than anything else. I have some good used german scopes, let me know your budget and I can set you up!

ugly

LE
Has anyone thought that more than 8x30 for binos is too big?

I use 8x40's after previously having 8x30's & IMO it makes a difference in low light conditions. Possibly subjective but they suit me.

ugly

LE
I used Swarovskis once, the difference between normal binos and those is like analogue TV to HD

ugly

LE
I used to be given (By an importer) returned seconds of kit, boots, bino's scopes etc. I ended up with a good Leupold range finder and binos, I also get used scopes from dealers that were part exchanged. Ive bagged some nice toys this way. I once took a rifle and cash in part ex for a decent scope!

I bought a pair of Swarofski bino's about 30 years ago, only the little 8x20B's they have been in my coat pocket ever since and got duly battered.

Evey couple of years I would lose a rubber eyepiece and they would send me a new one, I noticed that the little silver hawk logo had fallen off and asked if they could send me a replacement for me to stick on.

Nope it's a factory job please send them to us, a couple of weeks later I recieve a letter informing me that the bino's are with them and I shall recieve a quote, ok umm.

A month later my bino's reappear, looking like new, tubes replaced, body replaced, basically a new pair and at no cost. They also sent me a new shiney soft case for them.

They now have a devoted customer for life, I just need to sell a kidney for one of their spotting scopes.

i have an eye on this but its over budget dependent on what my feo says i suspect ive a bit more time with to spend the binoculars and my mentor before it becomes an issue. next spending tranch will likely be 17hmr rig. probably cz hawke combo as i cant see past it for value.

Attachments

Got a 8x42 Visionary freebird, which are pretty decent. Waterproof and under 150 quid. optics have come a long way in the last ten years what with computer guided, precision ground lenses and coatings. Not going to go "arrrgh" with this as I would if I take a tumble down a hillside with some 1K job. Ok, not a hillside, a stile in a hedgerow, or tripping over my shoelaces. I do have others - one being a 7x42 Zeiss classic which comes out on high days and holy days. Now, thats a bit of glass. Very nice. They really should remake them.

Think the Visionary might just be made in the same far eastern factory as some more up market brands.
Don't really use my bins at twilight now for anything other than having a gander, because I'm a cautious old bugger that doesn't like marginal light. Pointless trying to look for prey to get that last shot in, imho. Others that are better shots than I may well do otherwise.
Anyway, marginal light = time for hot, sweet, brew and dash of whisky. Plus a quite pipe for that condor moment.

Got a 8x42 Visionary freebird, which are pretty decent. Waterproof and under 150 quid. optics have come a long way in the last ten years what with computer guided, precision ground lenses and coatings. Not going to go "arrrgh" with this as I would if I take a tumble down a hillside with some 1K job. Ok, not a hillside, a stile in a hedgerow, or tripping over my shoelaces. I do have others - one being a 7x42 Zeiss classic which comes out on high days and holy days. Now, thats a bit of glass. Very nice. They really should remake them.

Think the Visionary might just be made in the same far eastern factory as some more up market brands.
Don't really use my bins at twilight now for anything other than having a gander, because I'm a cautious old bugger that doesn't like marginal light. Pointless trying to look for prey to get that last shot in, imho. Others that are better shots than I may well do otherwise.
Anyway, marginal light = time for hot, sweet, brew and dash of whisky. Plus a quite pipe for that condor moment.
I was thinking the other end of the day.

I've seen me spot a suitable beast a tad before sparrows' fart & be stopping off for a fry up on the way home with still cooling venison before the sun's an hour over the horizon.

Bugger messing around in the dark, especially if the beastie runs a few yards before keeling over.:mrgreen:

i have an eye on this but its over budget dependent on what my feo says i suspect ive a bit more time with to spend the binoculars and my mentor before it becomes an issue. next spending tranch will likely be 17hmr rig. probably cz hawke combo as i cant see past it for value.
Those fixed magnification Hungarian S&B's are great stalking scopes - go for it!

I run a Leupold 6x42 on my .243 but could easily be tempted to go in that direction...

ugly

LE
Looks nice but is a little overpriced. I have one for £300. If you want an HMR I have two used ones, a left hander savage and another I cant recall. Both are scoped. Savage are very good value but mainly because they are cheaply built. That said its still good value.

ugly

LE
I run a Leupold 6x42 on my .243 but could easily be tempted to go in that direction...
Nothing wrong with Leupold, I have a few, but you are right, the Klassik S&B is excellent

Has anyone thought that more than 8x30 for binos is too big?
My Steiners are 7x30 and are just the right physical size. Image quality is superb (though I have never used Swarovski). Compared with my old Bushnell 60s, they're night and day both in size and quality. Can't remember what I paid, but they were open-box and inexpensive for what they are.

Edited to add comparative photo.

IMG_6732.JPG

ugly

LE
Steiners, German made, cheaper to buy in the US than the UK. Typical, now how does the Eu work again?
I like mine, robust and easy to use, small enough to put inside my stalking smock.