Minor RTC question?

Pub today.Talking to a bloke who had a minor RTC yesterday.
She came out of a side road on his left, saw the guy, froze.He pulls to the right hoping to get in front of her. She then pulls forward whilst still turning right. The inevitable happened.
She is claiming the guy was driving too fast. If he was going too fast would his airbags have gone off? Is there a set speed for their activation? Does it vary from car to car, does an Ncap rating mean all cars have similar air bag setups? So many questions!

I’ve set airbags off by hitting a on corroded front wheel with a sledge hammer in an attempt to break it free, speed is only a factor in their deployment.

Last edited:
Being a bastard I would advise the chap to pop into a drop in medical centre & claim is has minor injury's

He'll get a couple of grand & the police may be interested in her for careless driving...

Being a bastard I would advise the chap to pop into a drop in medical centre & claim is has minor injury's
stupid advice, if he starts claiming for injuries that don’t match the mechanism of that injury or continues in his daily routine contrary to what that injury is supposed to inhibit then he will be up for fraud, he’ll also struggle to get insurance again.

Probably you.

cowgoesmoo

Old-Salt
Doesn't matter how fast he was going, onus is still on her to make sure it's safe before she pulled out.

The decision to deploy the airbags is surprisingly complex and depends on a number of factors around angles of impact, point of impact, deceleration, rate of change of deceleration, and other physics/maths voodoo so the airbags not deploying isn't always an indicator of the speed of the impact.

CatsEyes

War Hero
If the driver entering a carriageway from a side road crosses a Give Way marking, then she's at fault. Without wanting to be a smart Arrse, this is why I have dash cams in my car, forward and rearwards.

If the driver entering a carriageway from a side road crosses a Give Way marking, then she's at fault. Without wanting to be a smart Arrse, this is why I have dash cams in my car, forward and rearwards.
This. Get your man to take pictures of the junction, noting carefully any road signs and markings. And add that although he was committed to his course he still took evasive action so was taking due care and attention.

Slime

LE
She came out of a side road on his left, saw the guy, froze.He pulls to the right hoping to get in front of her. She then pulls forward whilst still turning right. The inevitable happened.
She is claiming the guy was driving too fast. If he was going too fast would his airbags have gone off? Is there a set speed for their activation? Does it vary from car to car, does an Ncap rating mean all cars have similar air bag setups? So many questions!
Did the road the woman pulled out from have a single solid 'stop line' or stop sign. Did it have thick dashed 'give way lines or a give way sign?

Is there any dash cam footage or are there any witnesses.

Perhaps most importantly, did the person you talked to skid?
Without other evidence being available, skid marks would be the only indication of speed that could be evidenced.
That said, we are talking about two different things here.
Speeding is a police matter.
Pulling out on someone may be a police matter in theory, but in this case is most likely just an insurance matter.

As with all these things, its just another reminder for anyone to buy a dash cam if they don't already have one.

Mrsheeny

Old-Salt
It depends whereabouts on the car the other car hit it.

If your friend was hit in the rear, then they’d already established themselves on the road and the other person it at fault. The rule is if you are more than half established in the road then it’s the other persons fault.

It’ll be a 50/50, they usually are.

+1 for dashcams. Proved the other driver was at fault when he reversed into my motor - the bastid claimed I ran into him.

Does it matter? Provided he has lots of photos of the place where the collision occurred, photos of the damage to both cars, a photo of the other driver, registration plate and her licence and, ideally, the names and addresses of friendly witnesses, leave it up to the insurance company.

Mind you, if he didn't spend the extra few quid on Motor Legal Protection, he's on a loser because the insurance company won't have any interest in fighting his side.

I had to drive past the scene this morning.The Lane is “unadopted” no white lines or signs.No skid marks that I could see.There is a convex mirror on the other side of the road.
Thanks for the replies.

So any photos of the woman?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Dark_Nit The NAAFI Bar 221
vvaannmmaann Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs 79
Boris_Johnson 2018 ARRSE Upgrade 6

Latest Threads