Minor rant

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by ordinaryforces, May 11, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I just came from TESCOS and in the queue a young man was refused fags because he couldn't prove he was 25 ffs 25yrs old! when he asked what would suffice in the way of ID the girl mentioned amongst other things a PASSPORT!!! Now I'm not trying to open a debate on the rights and wrongs of smoking, I'm just trying to work out who's running this Country, So there you have it....you can go to Iraq and Afghanistan but just don't trying buying a packet of fags in Norn iron :x
  2. You have your answer - Tesco's. No ID, no fags, booze or condoms probably. (No Clubcard points either).
  3. fcuk tescos there the root of all evil!

cheap stella tho! :lol:
  4. I was once ID'd for a sachet of mustard in wetherspoons.

fuck that right off.
  5. You lucky bastards, no one ever asks for my ID.
  6. That's because you smell like you're 95!!!
  7. :?
  8. Just a thought, Will the newly proposed government ID card suffice at said Tesco's............ :?
  9. Went into my local 24hr TESCO's on the way to work today at about 7.30.
    Photo Shop part doesn't open until 9am.
    Couldn't buy fags* either, as the kiosk doesn't open until 8am.
    Cnuts, the lot of them. :x

*& no, I don't mean cigerettes, but proper homosexuals. :wink:
  10. BrunoNoMedals

BrunoNoMedals LE Reviewer

Was it a case of "we don't think you're 25, therefore please provide some form of ID to prove you are 18", or was it "You may be able to prove you are old enough to buy cigs, but since WE say you must be older you're still not having any"? Or is the age limit on cigs higher over there?

The 25 thing is just a buffer zone to get staff asking more people, thus decreasing the chance an under-ager will get away with it. It doesn't affect the age limit.

It wouldn't be the first time, however, that staff were either poorly trained or too stupid to appreciate the difference.
  11. Tesco in NI are a bunch of tw@ts. I bought a mobile phone there a while back, turned out to be fooked. I brought it back an hour later, with receipt.

Fat munter at "Customer services": " We don't sell those. You couldn't have got that here"

It took 3 staff 50 minutes to get me my money back. Tight fisted b@stards.

On the subject of ID, I got carded a month ago for a bottle of scotch. Chuffed. I'm 36.

An amusing aside is that on the little gate at the customer services it's supposed to say "Every little helps" but the vinyl lettering is worn and it now reads "very little help"
  12. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

Given that the LAW says that you have to be over the age of 18 to buy tobacco products and alcohol, I'd like to see the legal basis for those "Challenge 25" schemes which effectively add 7 years to the age before the retailers will graciously allow you to add to their profits.

This is blatent age discrimination (and I speak as an incipient old fart who doesn't smoke).
  13. A shop does not have a duty to sell stuff to u if they dont want to, in the same way that u dont have to sell a car to someone u dont like. If u know what i mean
  14. And for a lot of people, including me, there wasn't a lot of customer service in Tesco on Monday either!

Tesco shuts down...

I arrived at the back of a very long queue yesterday morning, looked around and saw that the tobacconist's till was empty. The girl there told me that she wasn't allowed to serve me (I had a loaf of bread...) because she only sold tobacco.

She probably didn't understand why I told her to "give my compliments to the Manager" and walked out, leaving the bread on the desk.

So, I visited Waitrose and spent four times as much (bloody expensive bread in Waitrose....). :D

Customer service? Pah!

15. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

I'm aware of that. However, I don't see how this type of policy (Challenge 25) follows the "Wednesbury Reasonable" principal. It just invites a (very expensive) law suit.

By the way, pseudo-text/neo-chav speech will lose you friends on ARRSE.