Ministry of Defence Permanent Secretary moves on... Jun 2012

E

EScotia

It may be that she doesn't get on with Hammond so has found another very well paid job rather than quitting before the fallout from the defence cuts starts really hitting the fan.

I thought it was snuck out a bit....good day to bury some news. Given the MOD's poor record on E and D generally it doesnt look good, I suppose she did go on promotion.

She was imported from the Home Office having overseen the break out of the MOJ - which is where she will return. A Gordo ' Pass me the Diazepam' Broon appointment, biddable and acceptable to the Treasury.

There are a number of 'legacy' senior Whitehall officials who have moved on. :woot:

' < Snort> ....CallMeDave needs to do a proper purge of the Brownite mandarins if he wants to make any kind of headway: starting with the feckin' Treasury - which remains stuffed with Labour Yes-Men '

.....Ahem, you might think that but I could not possibly comment :thumright:

Yet another mandarin who has used the MoD as a stepping stone to greater things.

Greater things! From the MOD one of the highest spending ministries to the English Justice Ministry, I don't think so, how are the mighty fallen!

Or maybe she realises that seeing as the proverbial is already starting to hit the fan over VERS and the subsequent rehiring of Civil Servants into their former roles at higher prices and it will only get worse she is jumping before she is either pushed or made to become the sacrificial lamb by an ever-increasingly incompetent government......

Oh dear! What a pity! How sad! Never mind! Shades of jumping before being pushed methinks! And the Senior Civil Service reward-for-failure gravy train rolls on...

Or she's come to the end of her term as PUS? Will we be saying the same when the Mil top of the shop come to the end of their time in their particular office?

Niff Naff and Triv threads....love em.

Nope, shes going early and going to a significantly less important department. This is not normal, its akin to CGS announcing he is leaving his post to take up a new post as a regional forces commander.

Spot on! Absolutely correct! She is being moved early because she has been a less than conspicuous success at the MoD. But if she was widely acknowledged as being crap at the MoD what makes Sir Bob K (the Head of the Civil Service) think that she'll be any better at the MoJ)?

Spot on! Absolutely correct! She is being moved early because she has been a less than conspicuous success at the MoD. But if she was widely acknowledged as being crap at the MoD what makes Sir Bob K (the Head of the Civil Service) think that she'll be any better at the MoJ)?
She ticks all the right right on boxes.

OldSnowy

LE
Book Reviewer
To be fair, she only got the MOD PUS job because no-one with any sense wanted it. There were very very few serious applicants. Possibly only one, in fact :)

To be fair, she only got the MOD PUS job because no-one with any sense wanted it. There were very very few serious applicants. Possibly only one,in fact :)
Just out of interest and pardon my ignorance, but if there was only one serious applicant why didn't they get it instead of the comedy applicant?

Berlin

I did a quick piece on this over at t'blog - Thin Pinstriped Line: Did she fall or was she PUShed? The latest MOD redundancies are announced...

I will be fascinated to see who gets it next. A second non MOD PUS would be a telling signal that the department is failing to produce good quality leaders.
Good blog Jim - and telling points. I don't agree with the second paragraph of this post though: a second non-MOD PUS (actually a third after that rather tacky experience before Ursula), could equally indicate that ministers are determined to have their way on how the cuts are delivered, no matter the damage. It would be implicit that they're willing to ignore united military and civil service advice if they go for another outsider, but I don't believe we (whoops, you) lack the quality that's needed when you compare what's been available in-house with what's been brought in over the last few years - Ian Andrews springs to mind.

I feel a little sorry for Ursula: all I saw of her reinforced the view that she was bright and with good ideas and a better heart than she's been given credit for. Sadly, it also supported the view that she lacked the understanding or MOD awareness to have a hope of carrying the chiefs through the difficult stuff that faced her.

I guess it'll actually be Tom McKane if a proper MOD candidate is to win through - at least he'll be smoother than his immediate predecessors if he gets it.

Edited to add: or Robert Hannigan, who is also a credible candidate and could return to the Department.

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
Jim, of those entering Dartmouth today I wonder if there will be ANY 4* posts at the end of the rainbow in ?40 years time.

Also, all those entering the Armed Forces know that, risks to fitness aside, nearly all will need a second career as the likelihood of serving in uniform to age 65 is pretty limited and dependent on beating one's entire cohort in the promotion stakes. So it is unsurprising if many seem to be thinking through to 'what do i do next?'. The days when a Lt Col could retire on a pension that enabled him to keep two good hunters are long gone. Plus, marriage and a family can cause serious reexamination of one's career outlook.

Maybe she's been sent to MoJ to make biting, senseless, dangerous cuts to the criminal Justice system, she had bags of practice at MoD.