Ministers set university targets - Middle class to lose out

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by rockape34, Jun 25, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. HERE
  2. Yet more Daily Heil piffle, I'm afraid.

I work in University admissions and the proportion of students from middle class backgrounds continues to dwarf all other catagories as it has for decades. That headline's blatant scaremongering of the worst order. Admissions officers don't get to see family backgrounds when making their decision, so they can't tell if the candidate has two parents in the professions or one single parent on benefits.

The idea that little Tarquil will be refused admission because Johnny Briggs is being given a leg up is unmitigated excrement. No University could ever get away with doing that because admissions are monitored so thoroughly through the central admissions system, UCAS. Any trends bucking the national norm would stand out, and no, the national norm can't be fiddled either because the different catchment areas are too different. Unlikely figures show up prominently and all this information is available in the public domain through the Higher Education Statistical Agency (HESA).

What this is really about is ensuring that where two students have equal ability (not necessarily measured by A-level results alone), the place isn't automatically given to the posh one. It's also trying to take into account that pupils who don't do well at school may just have had cr*p schools and giving them the chance through summer top-up programmes or similar to prove their suitability for undergraduate study.

Universities play the long game. If they start admitting inferior or unsuitable pupils this will affect their rankings; as a result they attract fewer and fewer high quality students and less in the way of grants or research funding. You wind up with a vicious spiral that only leads to the U-bend.
  3. that makes more sense (than the article) sac, thanks.
  4. Hmmmm. Seems like the "Middle Class Compact", is being dropped.
    I see a need to be a dosser with no fixed abode, in order to get the most out of this Eutopian future.