Ministers bow to hybrid pressure.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Nehustan, May 17, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

Ministers bow to hybrid pressure.

Ministers have bowed to pressure to allow the creation of human animal hybrid embryos for research.

When the ban was proposed last year there were fears among scientists it would hamper medical breakthroughs.

Hybrid embryos will only be allowed for research into serious disease and scientists will require a licence.

Scientists welcomed the proposals put forward in the draft fertility bill, but opponents questioned the ethics of using human cells in this way.

This jumped out at me when I saw it on the news. My immediate thought was 'NO!', and I wasn't convinced by the scientist (Dr. Minger, see clip at 0:30) who seems to confuse ethics with praxis. I'm no expert on genetics, but this opens a whole heap of issues...
  2. It opens issues, but then also opens the door for massive breakthroughs in the medical world. It needs to be strictly controlled and everything needs to be available for a public watchdog to scrutinise, to minimise any issues.

Obviously the scientist bods need to have their common sense and ethical heads screwed on properly with this now in play.
  3. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

I think if it was argued on levels of practicality...they might get an ear. But on ethical ground there must surely be a resounding 'No!'. Depending on which species they choose and how the chromsomes are 'tweeked' all it takes is for some crazies to hatch one and God knows where it might end. I think this is a step beyond. I agree with stem cell research, just keep it within a species, whether the creature is hatched/born or not they are in effect creating a new species...very dubious to my mind.

(and I know that in effect the domestication of crops and animal husbandry is a similar process, but this just feels wrong.)
  4. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Sorry, seeing that these embryos are not and never will be sentient, can you tell me what your objection is?

On an unrelated point: Best Thread Title Ever.
  5. Wasn't this done about 4 or 5 years ago when somebody crossed a poodle with a prime minister? The resultant mutated beast is now battered and deformed, and in its death throes, but I always said you shouldn't fiddle with natural selection - or defy the overwhelming opinion of your people.
  6. Hey Ive watched 28 days later... no thanks!!
  7. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

I think that its the crossing of the species barrier for practical reasons is fundamentally wrong. I have recently just been studying prion disease (nvCJD), and this rings all kinds of bells in that context (zoonoses).

(I know that we've done it on countless occasions with crossbreeding animals and vegetables, but this is of a totally different magnitude to my mind as a fundamental)
  8. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

But why?

If it's a religious sanctity of life nonsense then we'll never agree.

I genuinely do not see the issue here. Embryos that would never achieve life anyway are used to further our knowledge.
  9. Species crossing bad ..... and while most scientist bods apply both common sense and ethical's there are those on the fringes who have neither.

Also when and how do we define sentientance, this is a question that falls between science medicine and for some faith.

I believe that genetics it is both the salvation and pandoras box of the human race, the trouble is that we have a real history of showing restraint only after the horse has bolted and remarkable lack of foresight, when the answer is in the open, i.e. genticaly modified crops cross Pollination in field trials? FFS even a basic ammo donkey grade 3 could have spelt that out!

That said though research must be done, my hope is that Drug companies in the push for profit dont cross the line, governments [tinfoil hat on] dont weaponise it [tinfoil hat off], beware the black helicopters and freaky God
    bothering Eco terrorist dont 28 days later us.
  10. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

I would like to think I believe in the 'sanctity of life' in a more general sense, but I do not have a fundamental problem with using human eggs for research. For me the creation of a new species born or not is ethically unsound.
  11. So can my next sprog have wings then? Or perhaps a tail?
    Oh the possibilities :D

On a more serious note, I beleive that as long as it is strictly controlled/monitored what have you, then I'm all for it.
    I understand why people are against it, but as Sixty said, it is something that will never achieve 'life'. It could almost be compared to mixing building materials.
    I cant see the problem, personally.
  12. Is this the future of the cavalry then?

Attached Files:

13. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

Can't see the pic mate...
  14. That'd be because Im a mong.
  15. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

Well maybe not just yet...but who knows. Bit vulnerable to IED's tho'?