Ministers ‘let army homes fall into ruin’

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Skynet, Mar 7, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. From The Sunday Times
    March 7, 2010
    Ministers ‘let army homes fall into ruin’

Thousands of soldiers' homes have fallen into ruin and disrepair

Jon Ungoed-Thomas and Michael Smith

MINISTERS are being blamed for allowing thousands of soldiers’ homes to fall into ruin and disrepair after they were sold to the private sector in a £1.6 billion deal.

Guy Hands, one of the City’s best-known financiers, masterminded the agreement to buy 57,600 homes from the Ministry of Defence (MoD) and then rent them back to troops.

The MoD remained responsible for the properties’ upkeep and claimed that the extra cash from the deal would provide badly needed funds to refurbish them. But it has emerged that the government diverted most of the money elsewhere.

Despite the payment of £1.67 billion to HM Treasury for the homes and a profit share of £156m on the sale of surplus properties, many are dilapidated and unfit to live in. New figures show that the MoD has been spending as little as £4.4m a year on maintenance and refurbishment.
    More
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/politics/article7052596.ece

2. This can't be true, our beloved leader wouldn't divert funds.
    I'm sorry but this has too be more Tory spin, lies and propoganda.
    Imagine only spending £763 per home per year, this glorious government would never treat its armed forces and their families so shabbily.
    I for one will be sending a strongly worded letter of support to GB, he is the best, after all he saved the world.

Sh1t here comes matron with me meds. Help me. I'm going mad, no too late I've gone...................

3. Bet ya The Conservatives don't make an issue of it.
    john

It is disgraceful that the money is diverted.

4. This is news? Must be some bored journo. This has been the situation for decades

5. That may be, but it is an ongoing situation which exists now, is topical and of interest to readers, and needs to be reported. The maintenance spending figures quoted in the article are recent.

6. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Probably best if they do keep quiet IIRC it was them that started selling everything off

7. Our last MQ had 43 outstanding jobs on it when we took it over ranging from dodgy light switches to toilets that didn't flush properly....................now in our own house!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. The profit shared agreement ends in 2012, so what interest is there for the government to support the contract.... I have done a lot of research into this area and spoken with ministers. The whole system is wrong, it's that simple. Hitback

9. Be honest though hackle, does the rest of the country really give a fat rats?

10. the_boy_syrup

The rest of the country thinks you get the homes for free and pay no council tax on them either

As my mates mum always used to say you lads are so lucky free food and accomodation

Gave up trying to convince her it wasn't 1943 again

11. Two pages of A4 on my last move in (and I have very small writing).

Sadly though, as someone above said, very few outside the Army give a shite about us or our housing. Most of them still think we get it free so why are we whining anyway?

12. Maybe we shouldn't think of it as our housing.................maybe it should be viewed as a government/taxpayer contract that does not provide...............

Thoughts anyone???

13. the_boy_syrup

Perhaps ministers could bring it in line with their policies

You get to buy a new house every tme you move
    The tax payer funds it for you
    You keep the profit when you sell it

Come on lads do I have to think of everything? :p

14. I would agree I got so fed up with my last MQ having no heating for two months, I bought a house instead and mag to grided the sodding thing mind you it was an ex MQ that I bought but at least I can do anything I want with it.

15. I think we have more support from "civvies" than people realise.
    The side-effect of this Afghan war is that personnel and the families are more on the countries radar than we were 15 years ago when I sacked it.
    CMD really could do worse than ask pertinent questions, especially after Cyclops chat on Friday, and his "we havn't cut budgets" part of the chat.
    £1.6billion diverted into what, MP's expenses.
    Unhappy family life makes for unhappy squaddie and that can't be good on ops.

CG

Edited for gimpness