Minister Praises Defence Medical Services

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
It looks like you are all wrong about DMS being in shite order. The Minister says they are the bees knees 8)

From MOD Oracle

Minister Praises Defence Medical Services

Sunday, June 18, 2006

Source: Ministry Of Defence

The Under Secretary of State for Defence Tom Watson has expressed his gratitude to members of the Defence Medical Services (DMS) who provide vital medical support to military personnel serving overseas and in the UK.

Speaking at the annual British Medical Association (BMA) Armed Forces Conference 2006, Mr Watson said:

"During the past six weeks, I have become more than aware of the crucial role that you and your colleagues play in supporting the vital work of our brave Servicemen and women - that's a day in day out job - in Iraq, in Afghanistan and elsewhere. I can honestly say that British military personnel rightly benefit from medical treatment that is second to none. And for that the Government, the whole country, owes you a tremendous debt of gratitude."

Mr Watson continued:

"There are currently around 300 medical personnel- Regulars and Reserves- serving in difficult and demanding conditions in the Balkans, in Sierra Leone, as well as in Afghanistan and the 400 in Iraq. Just as important is the work being done by those currently based in the UK, working within the NHS and on military bases, as well as in our hospitals in Cyprus, the Falklands, Germany and Gibraltar. On a daily basis they make a vital contribution."

In his speech, Mr Watson highlighted a number of recent initiatives that will further improve the quality of medical care provided to members of the Armed Forces. These include the announcement in April of an £80 million contract for the Defence Medical Information Capability Programme ('D-MIC-P'). The programme, that will be phased in from the beginning of 2007, will provide members of the DMS with electronic access to patients' medical records at any time and anywhere in the world the Armed Forces are serving.

Mr Watson also highlighted a new programme of support announced last month for recently demobilised reservists who believe they could be suffering from mental health problems as a result of their operational deployments. The new initiative will mean they will soon be able to access a Defence Medical Services assessment programme and, if their condition warrants it, treatment at DMS facilities.

Vice Admiral Rory Mclean, Deputy Chief of Defence Staff (Health), who also spoke at the conference, echoed the sentiments of the Under Secretary of State for Defence:

"The Under Secretary of State is right to highlight the tremendous work that the Defence Medical Services have been achieving in the UK and overseas. In partnership with the NHS our medical services now work in 6 trusts supporting the civilian and military staff throughout the UK. Our advances in community based psychiatry, regional rehabilitation units and the new contract for electronic medical records system will ensure that the DMS continues the high quality care we provide into the future."
I hope that this cheers you all up.

I leave it to the professionals now :wink:

Just as important is the work being done by those currently based in the UK, working within the NHS and on military bases, as well as in our hospitals in Cyprus, the Falklands, Germany and Gibraltar. On a daily basis they make a vital contribution."
we still have a hospital in the Falklands? and the other 3 are Navy and RAF, therefore not technically military more namby pamby.

Hasn't TPMH (Cyprus) gone? I thought secondary care was now contracted out. And what is the name of 'our hospital' in Germany?

Wegberg.
TPMH is still there, theres no way the RAF would give up a sunshine holiday posting.

You're going to have to help me here. Does Wegberg accept in-patients? I ask because having spent over four years in Germany recently apart from one out-patient referral every other case I was aware of was sent to a German hospital!

youll have to ask Sluice Dweller.

Mr Watson also highlighted a new programme of support announced last month for recently demobilised reservists who believe they could be suffering from mental health problems as a result of their operational deployments. The new initiative will mean they will soon be able to access a Defence Medical Services assessment programme and, if their condition warrants it, treatment at DMS facilities.
Happy to see the Minister announcing increased mental health provision for demobilised reservists and TA personnel.

Quick comment:

We in the various departments of community mental health have heard nothing about this, no briefings, no instructions from the centre, no details of increased funding, no information about enhanced staffing, no instructions about how we should go about this task, no information about how it will be delivered and where...............................unless I'm missing something.

Maybe my colleagues have information that I am not privy to............any comments :?

PS: Wegberg is a mental health inpatient unit. It is closing soon.

IH

So, as predicted, no extra resources then!

Presumably there is a plan somewhere that someone will let somebody know about at some stage.

You should feel your chest swelling as a result of the Ministers ringing endorsement - he loves you!

Well done! :wink:

Latest Threads