Minister attacks his staff

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by OldRedCap, Apr 13, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Did a search and failed to find anything relevant to this

A furious row broke out between Whitehall departments last night as a Defence minister publicly pilloried his senior government colleagues over what he said was their failure to provide health services for former members of the armed forces.

The Veterans minister Kevan Jones accused Health ministers of "not listening" to the needs of troops suffering severe – and sometimes hidden – traumas from Iraq and Afghanistan.

The Ministry of Defence (MoD) has insisted that former servicemen and women are given priority on the NHS.

But a Department of Health strategy launched yesterday to improve mental health services makes no mention of veterans. The New Horizons programme will host "listening events" around the country to consult a "wide range of people", and will promote the mental health benefits of mother and toddler groups, lunch clubs for the elderly, inner-city sports societies and community arts projects. A health spokesman conceded there were no plans to talk to armed forces organisations as part of the programme.

2. Nothing new then.

3. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Looks to me from what you have posted ORC that the Defence Minister is attacking Health Ministry staf, not Defence.

Having said that, he appears to be quite right to do so.

4. There must be an election looming and obviously the serving and ex military dont count.

5. Outrageous - which is not a word I use very often. Well said the Under Secretary of State for Defence and Minister for Veterans.

6. Auld-Yin

Could this be an opportunity for MoD/DMS to conduct their own enquiry? Looking at the needs of servicemen and women returning to 'normal' life after operations without any influence from NHS money managers.

I realise that this would be a huge politically couragous act but with current support from the general public growing it might just hit the right note if done, quickly, properly and not look like a pre-election vote winner.

It would be very naive to think it would be taken up by the NHS who would go in the huff if they were not leading the initiative, but this would get it on the agenda and parts may be lifted by the NHS.

Just a thought.

7. This has been a VERY long time coming. hopefully something will happen now. I have often stated my opinion that if the country goes to war, the COUNTRY goes to war and all resources should be made available to that effort. If we are not willing to do that, the war is not worth fighting. (the words I have often used are "If it's worth fighting, it's worth funding") Medical care is one aspect of this issue and care for those injured, be it physically or mentally, should be put onto a high priority and all efforts of everyone in every government department should be engaged as required.

It is to this governments eternal shame, that they have not done everything possible to care for those injured by the governments decisions to go to war.

8. Auld-Yin

Ski,

The point being made seems to be that this is NOT happening under the current review.

9. I take your point and I wasn't clear. I am hoping that the fact that a minister is now causing a fuss, will spur those responsible into action.

10. And the Moon is made of Cream Cheese, although WE do live in hope that for the FIRST time government will take this issue seriously and do more than they do at present, that's not hard, as they do diddley squit NOW!

11. Indeed. I am hoping, but I am not holding my breath.

12. For me this echo's the recent outbrake of common sense witnessed on Tom Harris' blog a little while ago.

I fully support Mr Jones in his sentiment,but yet again it feels like a minsiter is shutting the stable door's after the horse has bolted.

I find it sad that when I see a Labour politico simply doing what they are payed to do (and in such a worthy context as well) I get the impression of backbiting and infighting born of desperation.

Some may say that this is unfair...'damned if they do,damned if they dont'...but how many times have we seen a Labour trougher fighting for the mob in the last twelve years?

Alas,yet again,too little too late.

13. Worth a read just to see the comments left by a couple of Independant readers.

They must sleep well in their beds knowing they can spout their drivel secure in the freedoms the services secure for them.

I just wonder if the Jones' comments are the start of the schism developing in the Labour Party. The Health Minister is a staunch Brownite and many labour politicians will soon want to put some clear water between themselves and the sinking HMS Prudence.

It was only a couple of months ago that Services Psychiatric Care was contracted out to the NHS. Who was proclaiming this was a great step forward - Kevan Jones MP

14. Indeed.

Take a look at his voting record...yet again it speaks for itself and shows were the mans true loyalties are.

They work for you clicky

Do they really think we are ALL that stupid?

15. Well spotted, I notice how he is the poster boy for the labour government with his voting record