Minimum Service??

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by 1140_Sqn, May 6, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Evening Chaps,

I am hoping to join the Regs as an Infantry Officer, however, before I do that, I would like to join the TA while I am in College.

Thing is, I am going to New Zealand at the end of next year for 9 months. Is just over 15 months service enough for me to join the TA?

Going to New Zealand is very flexible, as if the opportunity arises, I would like to volunteer for a stint in Iraq.

What are your views on doing training, doing one tour of Iraq and leaving? Is there a minimum service length?

By the way, Brighton is my closest unit (PWRR)

Jamie

2. TA commision normally takes between 12 and 18 months to complete!
    I started the process but then realised i wud be joining the regs before i was commisioned.
    Its split up into about 5 modules
    the first 2 modules are same as a ta recruit :
    2 weekends ; TAFS 1&2
    4 weekends ; 1B

Officer training
    10 weekends ; module 2
    9.5 day exercise ; mod . 3
    Army main board brief weekend
    Army officer selection board weekend (AOSB)
    3 weeks in sandhurst commisioning coure ; MOD 4
    4 weekends platoon tactics ; MOD 5

COMMISSIONED

*edit*
    sorry misread what you wrote. Recruit training in the ta takes about 9 months to complete, theres no minimum time period you have to serve. Im not sure how easy it would be to volunteer for ops, afghanistan would be a more likely destination than iraq at the moment.

3. I was told its 12 years, but you can leave at any time so long as you give 3 months notice and hand your kit in. As for going on tour, you will only be able to do this once you have your RT cycle done aswell as your CIC, probably be done in 18 months.

Hope that helps

4. You should be looking at 18+ weeks for Phase 1 Infantry training followed by 2 weeks CIC then minimum 6 months before you can go on tour.

5. I would be joining as a squaddie, not an Officer.

So training plus Ops add ons will take about 18 months??

Many thanks for that lads,

Jamie

6. You might be a bit late for this year, but what about one of these Summer Challenge schemes?

Get all your basic and trade training over and done with during your summer break from college.

http://www.scottishsoldier.mod.uk/SumChall'08_A5_Leaflet.pdf

Best of luck.

T_T

7. If what Toysoldier said about 6 month gaps between training and ops. you're looking at getting all your INF training done in 6 months, If you get on a CIC by november it could happen.

8. If you are very lucky and everything works out okay and you can get the time off work etc then you can pass out in under six months. It took me just over 18 months.

9. There is a summer challenge running for the south east from July to September.

But you would need to get a move on for a place on it, advertising will start soon.

10. So how do I get on one of these Summer Challenge Courses???

Jamie

11. Contact the unit that you intend to join.

12. Jamie, check your PMs

13. Hugh_Jardon

Check your PM's

14. Done, and replied.