Minimium service

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by mazuk, May 29, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi guys, after going to my potential company hq and getting some paperwork done it was mentioned that i would be signing up for 12 years! i am pretty sure that i thought i would be signing up to 3 years with the chance to put another year or so on after that? have i missed something here or have they cocked up?

....12 years a is hell of a long time call me what ever ....any help on this i would be greatful for.
  2. msr

msr LE

You sign up for 12 years as it cuts down on the paperwork to re-enlist you every three years.

However, you are free to leave at any time, as long as you have not been mobilised.

And you give your kit back ;)

3. Fair enough matey, this wasn't all that clear to me as it said in the enlistment papers you sign up to 3 years service then can add another 1,2,3 or 4 years at a time...and we are talking about the same one, they mentioned since april 07 you sign up to a min of 12 years....just when i heard that i thought that F*** i have signed 12 years of my life away luckily i screwed up on the forms and have to go back next week ^^
  4. msr

msr LE

Well funnily enough we are in May 2008, so yes 12 years it is.

This is an administrative measure.

5. So just to clear my skull completly,

They say 12 years in paperwork but you can leave after 3...(why isn't this mentioned in paperwork?)
  6. To try to put it simply (and this isn't easy when you're dealing with the Big Green Machine):

When you join the TA, you join the TA. That's it. Despite what it says on bits of paper, there's not really a minimum or maximum time that you join for. There are other bits of paper that say you can leave at any time and this is the contract that you're signing up to.

By giving you a bit of paper at the start of your service that says you're enlisting for 12 years, the document wallahs get 12 years notice to prepare your re-engagement forms. Under the previous system, by your 12 year point, you would have had to re-engage 3 times. The current system saves trees and admin time.

When I joined (sometime last century), IIRC, if you wanted to discharge yourself within the first three years, you had to write a letter of resignation, hand in your kit and pay £5. After those first three years, even if you'd just completed a re-engagement form and selected the 4 year option, there was no £5 to pay. Only leaving within your very first 3 years cost you any money. I think the set up is more or less the same now, but I'll stand corrected if somebody with better knowledge chips in.

The exception to this is if you have received notification of mobilisation. If the brown envelope inviting you to experience Regular Army life drops through your door, you can still request a discharge, but you don't have a right to it. This limitation remains until the end of the mobilisation period, then you're back to leaving whenever you want.

Now, as to why it's 12 years (and not some other random number). As mentioned, there are admin savings to consider. Also, when you have completed 10 years, you become entitled to a shiny medal. It's unlikely that you'll actually receive it in your 10th year (the Army's not that organised) and it looks better if you're in uniform when you receive it, so there's a 2 year window when you're likely to still be around.

Incidentally, 12 years isn't really a long time (although murderers get less). I reckon it takes at least 20 years before you've amassed a decent list of lamp-swinging stories with which to regale the new recruits.

Hope this helps. :)
  7. So why isn't this mentioned in the initial paperwork? why leave something like this out when i first heard of this i shit myself, told my folks about it and kinda went tits up they said i was an idiot if i considered 12 years. I just don't want to sign into the TA saying 12 years then only find out that it is compulsory and my maggot ass is pumed to the force.
  8. msr

msr LE

You can leave at any time, unless you have been mobilised. Just hand your kit in and walk away.

'maggots ass pumed to the force?' eh? Am I getting old?

9. Happen!
  10. It is mentioned somewhere, plus - why not just ask?