MINIMI GOOD, LSW NOT SO GOOD

ugly

LE
Last edited:

ugly

LE
It seems that they did adopt the L4 after being issued it in Borneo. They bought 1100 and were making barrels and magazines at Lithgow. The L4 wasn't taken to SVN for infantry use and the M60 was adopted for infantry use. This was phased out in the late 70's with gradual adoption of the L7 but M60 and L4 hung on in reserve units long after it was officially declared off the books.

Last edited:
@ugly - I came across this.

The camp pattern is erdl by the looks of it, stuff that oz SF used in Vietnam. The webbing looks the same,
3 piccy down
The encyclopedia of weapons: A hero's gun
It seems that they did adopt the L4 after being issued it in Borneo. They bought 1100 and were making barrels and magazines at Lithgow. The L4 wasn't taken to SVN for infantry use and the M60 was adopted for infantry use. This was phased out in the late 70's with gradual adoption of the L7 but M60 and L4 hung on in reserve units long after it was officially declared off the books.

ugly

LE
Allegedly loading 28 rounds helped as did stretching the springs! The Aussie and Canadian 30 round mags were designed for vertical upwards feed and didn't jam much in my recollection.
I had a couple Aussy 30rd mags for my personal (ex NZDF) SLR. They ran fine with the full 30 rds. Only really used them for a bit of fun or pest control for.

I had a couple Aussy 30rd mags for my personal (ex NZDF) SLR. They ran fine with the full 30 rds. Only really used them for a bit of fun or pest control for.
30rds of 7.62mm for pest control? Did you have long haired Cumbrians residing near by.

30rds of 7.62mm for pest control? Did you have long haired Cumbrians residing near by.
Haha, no just the occasional green peace protester. Here in NZ its pretty common to get farmers offer up areas to be cleared of hares, wallabies and goats. Some of the time they'll pay for the ammo and the BBQ and beers afterwards. We can also book some of our training areas for recreational use if not in service use. Any pests we can bump off (incl deer and pigs) are less pests for the range control bods to manage. Generally guys will bring what ever they own be it bolt or semi and its not unusual to have everything from .22 up to .338 in the party.

Haha, no just the occasional green peace protester. Here in NZ its pretty common to get farmers offer up areas to be cleared of hares, wallabies and goats. Some of the time they'll pay for the ammo and the BBQ and beers afterwards. We can also book some of our training areas for recreational use if not in service use. Any pests we can bump off (incl deer and pigs) are less pests for the range control bods to manage. Generally guys will bring what ever they own be it bolt or semi and its not unusual to have everything from .22 up to .338 in the party.
.338? Some one has money to burn.

.338? Some one has money to burn.
Soldiers with no missus or kids, and only a want for drinking money and toys. Some use deployment allowences. I know of at least one with a 50 cal rifles and another who was very close to buying a 20mm Oerlikon but decided to use the cash for a deposit on a house.

Soldiers with no missus or kids, and only a want for drinking money and toys. Some use deployment allowences. I know of at least one with a 50 cal rifles and another who was very close to buying a 20mm Oerlikon but decided to use the cash for a deposit on a house.
One of these?

Denel NTW-20 - Wikipedia

ugly

LE
Where did he keep his mags or is that where those 3 mag pouches came from?[/QUOQU]
Depends on webbing. Either on chest as per our pat 37 or belt as per pat 44. I vaguely remember bandoleer for SLR and pouches for LMG ammo in the section. Could be wrong though. Australians preferred belt order at the time.

Nah, more old school crew served style like this,
You mean they're legal down your neck of the woods?

Nah, I'm too old and useless to emigrate down South.

ugly

LE
In that picture the man handling the L4 is wearing 2 waterbottle pouches at the front of his belt. Odd combo

Last edited:
You mean they're legal down your neck of the woods?

Nah, I'm too old and useless to emigrate down South.
Yeah on a collectors license (can't fire it) If semi only could be on either a standard licence or Military style semi dependent on what size mag it has.