Miniature Helicopters

No wonder we need spending cuts. A clear example of poor 'value for money'

Saw it on H16, tremendously impressive bit of kit IMHO. It is nigh on silent and the picture quality is superb. Was amazed at how stable it was too.
Expensive it might be but its a capability that will save lives so all in all a good bit of UOR kit

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
They cost £15.00 in the shops. FFS....
So go shopping and buy some, girlfriend. When it comes to a contract they cost £12k+ and we'll whack them through a firm in Norway. The money trail need not concern the likes of you.

TheIronDuke Heavy Industries BVD. Saving lives by flogging cheap plastic toys to the Mil.

So much mischief coming with them, wonder how many will go missing when we come back from Afghan?

**** me like, I can see there's a bit more to them than the kit on Red5, but £125,000... Really?

So much mischief coming with them, wonder how many will go missing when we come back from Afghan?

.. to reappear hovering outside the au pair's bedroom window.

It seems astounding that these things are costing £125k. There are small r/c helicopters with cameras for around £80 and the quality of image is quite good, certainly good enough to spot the wicked people
I used to know two chaps who made a very good living out of r/c helicopters using them as camera platforms for movie work. They reckoned that their top of the range machines cost £5000

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
I hope they work better than the one my neighbour had.

Attachments

How much sniggering do you think was going on when the people selling these realised the pen was touching the paper.

It seems astounding that these things are costing £125k. There are small r/c helicopters with cameras for around £80 and the quality of image is quite good, certainly good enough to spot the wicked people
I used to know two chaps who made a very good living out of r/c helicopters using them as camera platforms for movie work. They reckoned that their top of the range machines cost £5000
Top of the range R/C camera platforms for 35mm or proper HD are a lot more than that - the camera alone would be in excess of that figure - You'd also need to know what you were doing with the thing.

However I agree the unit cost does seem a little excessive- even taking into account R+D costs. The best mini camera on the market is about £300 and uses wifi to TX the signal to a phone or laptop. I would imagine the high cost is explained by the development of the signal carrier -micro-microwave??

Top of the range R/C camera platforms for 35mm or proper HD are a lot more than that - the camera alone would be in excess of that figure - You'd also need to know what you were doing with the thing.

However I agree the unit cost does seem a little excessive- even taking into account R+D costs. The best mini camera on the market is about £300 and uses wifi to TX the signal to a phone or laptop. I would imagine the high cost is explained by the development of the signal carrier -micro-microwave??
plus a whole world of hurt regarding frequencies & ECM

So if they use microwave (obviously we are guessing here and cannot say for sure) then they will be absolutely useless anywhere that has some cloud or lots of moisture in the air.

So if they use microwave (obviously we are guessing here and cannot say for sure) then they will be absolutely useless anywhere that has some cloud or lots of moisture in the air.

The TX I have is (slightly naughty) 2.8Ghz - it's about the size of a matchbox and is unaffected by any such stuff. In a big coastal desert we got an unbroken signal from a moving car about 500m away from the RX/monitor

OldSnowy

LE
Book Reviewer
FFS, sometimes the collective ignorance of the ARRSE massive really annoys me. Even if you take time to read the article, it says "Surrey-based Marlborough Communications has a £20m contract with the military to supply and maintain 160 of the drones, which were originally developed by Prox Dynamics for search and rescue operations."

Read it - it says supply and maintain 160 of them. They will break - they are used by Infantry Sections, FFS, and I know how good they are at breaking things. They are pretty delicate, and HERRICK is not a nice envitonment, in many many ways.

So to say that "each one costs £125,000" is simply bollocks. to keep 160 running, in Afghanistan, for how long (it doesn't say, does it, could be a 1-year or a 12-year contract) might not be bad VFM at all. We simply don't know.

But it's always easy - bloody MOD, anyone could sell any old crap to the MOD.

To paraphrase the Waco Kid: "You've got to remember that these are just simple ARRSErs. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new Britain. You know... morons."

FFS, sometimes the collective ignorance of the ARRSE massive really annoys me. Even if you take time to read the article, it says "Surrey-based Marlborough Communications has a £20m contract with the military to supply and maintain 160 of the drones, which were originally developed by Prox Dynamics for search and rescue operations."

Read it - it says supply and maintain 160 of them. They will break - they are used by Infantry Sections, FFS, and I know how good they are at breaking things. They are pretty delicate, and HERRICK is not a nice envitonment, in many many ways.

So to say that "each one costs £125,000" is simply bollocks. to keep 160 running, in Afghanistan, for how long (it doesn't say, does it, could be a 1-year or a 12-year contract) might not be bad VFM at all. We simply don't know.

To paraphrase the Waco Kid: "You've got to remember that these are just simple ARRSErs. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new Britain. You know... morons."
Someones tired.....

Posted from my ipad whilst on the loo(iOS or Android)

Steady on Old Chap - why would you assume that any of us had actually bothered to read the gen?

They are still bloody expensive.

Edited to add:

Bearing in mind the limited operational distances they are probably using blue tooth or wifi. This would allow for multiple RX devices once the IP is known.

Hopefully the article doen't already mention this - I wouldn't know.