Miniature Helicopters

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Pebbles015, Feb 3, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. They cost £15.00 in the shops. FFS....

• Like Like x 1
  2. No wonder we need spending cuts. A clear example of poor 'value for money'

• Like Like x 1
  3. Saw it on H16, tremendously impressive bit of kit IMHO. It is nigh on silent and the picture quality is superb. Was amazed at how stable it was too.
    Expensive it might be but its a capability that will save lives so all in all a good bit of UOR kit

• Like Like x 1
  4. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

So go shopping and buy some, girlfriend. When it comes to a contract they cost £12k+ and we'll whack them through a firm in Norway. The money trail need not concern the likes of you.

TheIronDuke Heavy Industries BVD. Saving lives by flogging cheap plastic toys to the Mil.

5. So much mischief coming with them, wonder how many will go missing when we come back from Afghan?

6. **** me like, I can see there's a bit more to them than the kit on Red5, but £125,000... Really?

7. .. to reappear hovering outside the au pair's bedroom window.

8. It seems astounding that these things are costing £125k. There are small r/c helicopters with cameras for around £80 and the quality of image is quite good, certainly good enough to spot the wicked people
    I used to know two chaps who made a very good living out of r/c helicopters using them as camera platforms for movie work. They reckoned that their top of the range machines cost £5000

9. Chopper £20
    Control gear £30
    CCTV camera and transmitter £60

Getting the MOD to sign a contract? Priceless!

• Like Like x 3
  10. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

I hope they work better than the one my neighbour had.

11. Attached Files:

12. How much sniggering do you think was going on when the people selling these realised the pen was touching the paper.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Top of the range R/C camera platforms for 35mm or proper HD are a lot more than that - the camera alone would be in excess of that figure - You'd also need to know what you were doing with the thing.

However I agree the unit cost does seem a little excessive- even taking into account R+D costs. The best mini camera on the market is about £300 and uses wifi to TX the signal to a phone or laptop. I would imagine the high cost is explained by the development of the signal carrier -micro-microwave??

14. plus a whole world of hurt regarding frequencies & ECM