Mines a Guinness, Doc!

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Excognito, May 28, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I wonder if I can get Guinness on prescription?

2. Apparently it was available on prescription for pregnant ladies, anaemics and geriatrics.

Don't know if they still do it though.

Edited for spelling 'Anaemics' the American way. Wot a dick.

3. No. They don't.

:evil:

4. Ued to give it out on surgical wards to aid recovery - beats Lucozade. When did Lucozade stop being for sick people and become a sporty peopel drink?

5. Many years ago when I lived in Woking I had a ex-crab mate who worked as a Psychiatric nurse at the now closed Brookwood Hospital.

His ward, Barton Ward (a geriatric ward) was also known as the Barton Arms because of the amount of Guinness that they had in storage.

The patients were entitled to one pint of Guinness per day but many of them refused to drink the stuff and others died off without having their share.

Consequently the 'Barton Arms' became a very popular place for nurses from other wards and porters etc to visit.

The good old days.

6. More years ago than i want to admit, i was quite ill. Emergency doctor,suspected meningitus,bedridden for two months.

The plus point to this was that when i was able to physically get to the pub, the doctor had actually advised me to drink bottled guinness.

Well, I didnt think i should ignore the doctor's orders.....needless to say maybe he didnt envisage me carrying those orders in my head for the next 20years!! ;)

7. Likewise whilst recovering from several operations a doctor said i was aneamic and recommended the stout cure...que jeans t-shirt and down to the George near L.G.I. In 1983 the plastic flagons from Tetleys were all the rage.Hence a pill and takeout pi$$ up on ward 16.Cheers nurse Jane and Foxy who pushed the wheelchair and sorted abloutions.

8. Years ago you could get Guinness and also Brown ale and Pale ale whilst in hospital. You just had to get your own local GP to prescribe it and the hospital got in for you. :D

9. Yes they do, I got mine by asking the ward round Doc after I,d had my Carotid stents put in, plus the daughter brought me in a nice bottle of Cab
    Sauv. :) :) :) :)

10. Pisshead. :D

11. :lol: :lol:

12. Guinness is actually full of Iron, look in the toilet bowl after a pint of drinking it

The Irish Blood Transfusion Service normally has it available for blood donors!

13. Is that why it turns red to purple? :oops:

14. They used to offer you a can of Guiness when you gave blood in England but that stopped several years ago.
    Blooming NHS budget cuts!

15. They used to prescribe Guinness to pregnant women, anaemics and people with serious illnesses, as well as loonies.
    The again, they also used to prescribe cannabis to loonies too.
    I should like to have been a certified looney around 100 years ago. I could have been in a permanent state of drunken highs, all for free.
    Damn the NHS :(