Minehunter's upgrade reaches major milestone

Discussion in 'Royal Navy' started by MoD_RSS, Mar 13, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

2. I put a new engine in an old Vauxhall Victor once. It was me dads and the big ends went when I was on a trip to the Lake District with a Chinese bird called Gake Se Ciu (sometimes referred to as Gake See Chew). It rained most of the time and it took us ages to get back to Sheffield on the M1. I had to buy a Haynes manual and the engine wasn't actually new it was a reconditioned one.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Were you as excited as the Lieutenant when your engine went in?
  4. I was bloody excited when it all worked when I had finished. Mind you I didn't have to run it aground on a well marked rock somewhere afterwards.
  5. You should see his excitement when someone puts a new bog roll in the Officers heads.
  6. I'm really glad the navy have a good minesweeper. I assume that they are preparing for when the Taleban take to the high seas and start laying mines all over the place.

Aaaaarah Mohammed, hoist the jolly green flag of Islam aaaaarh!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Guns

Guns LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. The Royal Navy

Sod the Taliban its the Iranians we need to keep an eye
  8. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

Again, I'd like to take the piss out of MOD RSS. However, can I point out to all the pongoes who were on the ground in Kuwait in 91 and Iraq in 03 that the food they ate and the water they drank all came through ports that had been cleared by these ships and the bubbleheaded lunatics that they carry.
  9. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

Well said, Fishy, and our MCMVs have done a good job off Libya more recently, but the qn is how does something that once would be entirely trivial in 'news' terms (change diesel donk in minor war vessel) now become something for the MoD to bang the drum about like this and in fact make its PR people look stupid. Now HMS Nelson running aground just outside Portsmouth Harbour in 1936, or HMS Vanguard calling in at the Still & West for a farewell pint on her way to the breakers, that's what I would call news.
  10. Don't worry chaps - I have spent some time at sea courtesy of grey funnel line and have had many runs ashore with Jack Tar. My father served in the navy in WW2. I have a lot of time for the RN and I know for a fact that they can put up with a bit of teasing!

But seriously, new engines for a minsweeper? Do they have to chase the mines now? How fast can they go? Or did the captain wreck the last engine by racing the Americans through the straits of Hormuz? Last one through is a girlie and that sort of thing...

11. I'm going minesweeping tonight and the smug little twat who left to glass of cold piss on the window sill of the White Lion last week should be aware that the superglue in the door lock of your skoda is on the ******* house!
  12. Never mind the PR bollox, can I have the pair of Napier Deltics that are coming out?

One would make a lovely garden ornament and I might take up tractor pulling as hobby with the other
  13. Now you're talking. The trusty Deltic engine, also used in diesel railway locomotives, originated with German aviation but the RN became interested in 1944 and commissioned a study into a marine version. A suitable power plant was developed in 1947 and produced by Napier from 1950 onwards. Sad to see them go in some ways but I bet a few Hunt Class MEOs are breathing a sigh of relief.

ARRSE Upload 1.jpg ARRSE Upload 2.jpg