Mine Awareness Training

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Lighthorseman, Oct 26, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all

I would like to provide some mine awareness training for my blokes on a Drill Night(s) in the first half of next year and would like to know if there are any TA RE units who could possibly provide an instructor or point me in the right direction.

The training would aimed at teaching the lads 5 and 10 metre checks etc and general mine awareness. Nothing too complex.
  2. Where are you?
  3. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Try 101 Regt (V), RE.

p.s. It's 5 & 20's
  4. speak to MITC Battlefield engineering wing Gibraltar Barracks as they will be able to provide handouts and aide memoirs. Also infantry assault pioneer platoons can provide the relevant training not just RE!
  5. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I went to a lot of effort 20 years ago to try and teach this to a TA inf coy. The TA centre caretaker destroyed all of the posters as he was to rent the classroom out to foreign language students and they musnt see what their countries produce and sell must they.
    Thank feck that the TA is waking up to this, I am lucky in never having had to clear live ones but was always trained and ready. With so much lying around the sandpits its important to train the lads and lasses now so it sinks in!
    Rant over!
  6. oh and RE will insist that you must not train with AP mines...they're banned don't you know
  7. Not quite. We dont train to lay indicriminate AP mines. We still do command detonated, and still train in dealing with them.
  8. We did in my day! :D Come back Elsie, all is forgiven...

9. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Come now they werent indiscriminate just local and as such werent required to be recorded!
  10. We had mine awareness training at camp
  11. I'd would not fancy my chances neutralising a command detonated mine!! Yes we do still use claymores but only in the command detonated role. In order to swerve the ottowa convention you simply rename it to a command detonated weapon system.
    In my experience some people insist that AP mines are a big no no, because of the public and media perception in training, but the reality is that ap mines from all countries are still in circulation and there is a fundamental need to make combatants aware of, and what to do if they encounter mines so they can be safely extracted unless of course conducting a deliberate breach.