Mindjet - opinions from the floor please

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by Pocoyo, Apr 30, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Has anyone used Mindjet? Before I con the IT manager into buying it for me are there any opinions on it? Is the interaction with MS Office good/easy?
    does it take ages to learn and then rarely used?

Any info for/against welcome.

2. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Yep we have mindjet and mind jet Pro. In my opinion mindjet is more user friendly than Pro. Pro has loads of stuff I dont use in it however. I guess it depends on how big your org is and what you want it for. If you want i could "lend" you my "evaluation" copy before you go out and buy it.
  3. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Works with Sharepoint - you can download a demo.

Use mind maps quite a bit for project analysis, works for me.
  4. Cheers for the offer Biscuits and you've raised a good point. Is it only really useful if a lot of people in your own org use it?. I'm in a BD role and I don't believe that it is used anywhere within my immediate organisation, the reason I am considering it is that I am hearing it talked about by other players and sometimes when information is offered to me it is in mindjet/mindmanager format.

I might just download the free trial version and give it a go
  5. have a look at the mindmapping freeware available on xmind.net as a comparison.

Used an old version of Mindjet a while ago and it was worth it then. haven't convinced company to buy it so using xmind.
  6. msr

msr LE

7. Mindjet is excellent, looks good and very easy to use. As ever you pay for extra bells and whistles. There is a whole lot of additional functionality and integration options.

But, if you are just creating standalone mind maps then go with xmind. Xmind is the best freeware mind mapping programme I have come across.

Of course, Buzan ninjas would never mindmap with anything but A0 paper and a box of crayons.
  8. I have mind manager pro 7 is a good programme, best bit for me is how you can intergrate all the office programmes and pdf stuff as well, if you want to see if its what you really need pm me and I can give you a licence key
  9. Thanks to everyone for the info and offers of help, I have to be a bit careful with the work laptop in terms of "evaluation copies" and licenses so going to play it safe for now and go for a legit trial version. some of the stuff on the link from MSR looks really useful.

thanks again
  10. If you want to make IT happy, approach him with a quick bulletpoint business case for the reason you would like to try Mindjet. Also ask if he knows of any other software of a similar nature that might meed the needs of your little business case.

Ask if he would be able to provide a PC to test the 30 day demo application, freely available from the website. If you want to use it in a group, see if you can have it installed for that group.

Over the 30 days, do a proper evaluation of the software. Is it meeting the needs for what you originally intended? Are there any shortfalls in the application itself?

After your 30 days are up, go back with your little report made up from the comments of yourself and your team and proceed from there with a decision to buy or not.

This might sound a bit 'Tip toe round the IT manager', but if you do your homework before approaching him, then show that you've actually looked at the application properly, in the environment it's going to be used in before you make your decision, you'll be next in line for a shiny new PC!!

All the above is of course, directly the opposite of what happens at our place where people buy software off their own budget, turn up with the box and mutter the fateful three words 'Make it work'!!
  11. mindjet is sex on a stick but mindmanager is cheaper...
  12. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

My Bold.

Ah, I see you have experience of us, young padowan! :D

Buggered if I can remember that Matrix though.

Used Mindjet for a while, thought it was really rather good, then forgot where I'd saved half the files. Not even Buzan can save me.
  13. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

not the way most business users use it.......several spiders with broken legs crawling around a sheet of A1 does not have the same psychological impact as Lucy Verasamy - at least for me..... :)
  14. You are my IT manager and I claim my 5 pounds!

All good stuff and taken on board, thanks.

Just having a look at XMind on my home machine, looks suitable for my needs but I think will be opting/pushing for a team evaluation of mindjet for the integration aspects
  15. Given that Buzan has a slice of the profits from (at least) one of the commercial products - either they're dim, or he doesnae give a feck about his own teaching. . . .

(I know where I'd put my money, BTW)