"Mindfulness" and PTSD?

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Bushmills, Mar 7, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ran into a hippy bird in the pub tonight and she reckons that "mindfulness" is the best thing since sliced bread for PTSD. Got a couple of mates who are going through a hard time at moment and wondered if I should suggest it to 'em or is it pop psychology bullshit?

Genuine question; thoughts/abuse welcome.

2. It's the human givens creatures, discard anything they say.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Agreed jarrod, go with people who know about it, ex-military and relevant organisations. Hippies will just stuff lentils and meditation down you, no good whatsoever.

4. Mindfulness is a core subject for PTSD treatment, and is part of the treatment given by Combat Stress.

• Like Like x 1
  5. I sincerely hope you rattled it!

6. Your two mates + one hippy bird = Spitroast. That'll take their minds off it for a while!

• Like Like x 1
  7. fuckin Buddhists,

• Show again braincell Show again braincell x 1
  8. Who gives a fuck? Man up.

9. Mindfulness does not have to be Buddhists no more than astrology is Christian or algebra is Muslim.

This mindfulness malarky kicked off a couple of decades with a trick cyclist called Jon-Kabbat Zinn, a Septic who taught it to people suffering with all kinds of stuff, including PTSD. Since then it's caught on and went mainstream, even in the UK.

I don't think mindfulness or meditation is a cure for any ailment, however these things are proven to reduce stress (they can measure stress hormones prior to and after mindfulness/meditation), and any ailment that's stress related, like PTSD, can be helped by lowering stress.

This is good to read:

10. its used a lot to help people manage with PTSD, Anxiety etc. It helps you live in the moment and not run off with your thoughts/worries. Its very good, although it does take some practice. Also helps with anger management

11. Asbach helps me to forget everything, especially my way home

• Like Like x 5
  12. Jeez, not more Scientology-based crap appearing in the UK.

What next? Xenu curing PTSD personally from his spaceship?

13. sirbhp

sirbhp LE Book Reviewer

Don't see many of those purple clad large necklace of nuts hippies around now do you ? They thought they had all the answers In a crouch end pubs on skinny roll-ups and one pint of beer all night and a half for the ladieees .
    Beware of Gurus ... they will let you down . in a careening veterinarian way .