Mince Pies????

I'll say up front I'm lousy at making pastry, but even I can make vastly better mince pies than Mr Kipling. @LJONESY buy in a few jars of decent quality mincemeat and make your own, your tastebuds and your wallet will appreciate the small amount of effort required.
And hypodermic syringe with large bore needle for spiking them with a drop of whiskey.

In my defence I am Jockenese, therefore I crave beige food - ultra sweet * or deep fried is merely a bonus!

* You Merrycans should look for / try Scottish tablet..... you can hear your teeth rot as you eat it!
Slightly off track, but the “Pizza Crunch” needs a mention: defrost an Iceland/Farm Foods/etc pizza, fold in half with the toppings inside, dip in batter and deep fry.
Deep fried mince pieces are widely available in Scotland and have been spotted as far south as Rotherham.

Only on ARRSE could a thread about mince pies in the Cookery forum turn so readily into a full handbags hate fest.
It's traditional

But you don't know the difference between a biscuit and a cookie in American English or the fact that minced meat is really ground. Pants are not trousers, a trunk is not a boot, or that a dummy is a pacifier.
Ground suggests it was produced by a GRINDING process, mince is chopped into small pieces with a mechanical aid..

D

Deleted 24582

Ground suggests it was produced by a GRINDING process, mince is chopped into small pieces with a mechanical aid..

Ground beef.....I am pretty sure you don't have an assembly line of "mincers" cutting yours into small pieces.

Ground beef.....I am pretty sure you don't have an assembly line of "mincers" cutting yours into small pieces.
You can see the screw blade that chops it in the video.

The_Snail

ADC
RIP
Fcuk we have not even had Firework Night & you ask about the December festive period.
I realise in the US of A every day is xmas with the Donald in charge, bet he is really santa, says so in his book..

The think that annoys me is people are kind & friendly for perhaps the 25th & 26th only?
Why not the rest of the year, too much hate in the world, ok that's is my bit said
I'm always kind and friendly. I'm not too keen on mince pies though.

The following provides the gold standard for shop bought mince pies.

It's the annual Good Housekeeping list and it's taken very seriously by the retailers.

Top of the list this year is some self-bake offering of which I've never heard and they're those titchy bite-size things. Runner up is something available at Costa Coffee for £2.10...... each.

Morrison's 'The Best' range would seem to be the most realistic offering this year.
Freshbake used to produce excellent mince pies - used by hotels etc and sold in Iceland/Bejam, sadly they are gone and we're left with too sweet & too little filling Mr Kip etc

DIY is easy: pastry 8, 4, 2 (flour, fat, sugar) + water, jar of mincemeat.

PS Costa (lot) - 1 Cheese Scone £2.95; Morrisons 4pack £1.00

A question from Rudolf

What happens to the alcohol in a 180c-220c 20min bake?
Evaporation, leaving behind anything formerly in solution. The completeness of evaporation will depend on what it is mixed in or laid on.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
smeg-head The Book Club 4
adouglasmhor The NAAFI Bar 22
Grouchy Cookery 15

Latest Threads