Minatures with Dinner Suit?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Old_Gregg, May 21, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can I wear minature medals with a formal Dinner Suit to a mess do? Im not a Senior so dont have mess dress.

2. Yes. People do. Check with the PMC first though...

3. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

It's definitely correct dress in the civie world, however as you are talking about a Mess I suspect that local rules would apply.

4. Thanks for your answers guys, appreciated. 8)

5. Depends what the invitation says. Normally if it says "Black Tie with Decorations/Miniatures" it would be correct to do so.

6. Ask as we can (3pwrr) but its best to clear it withe the RQ

7. I was once briefed that if still serving, "Regulars don't, Territorials may"

Then I met a bloke wearing miniatures on his DJ.

Turned out he was a Regular Sig Regt CO and was very offended about being thought otherwise.

So - make sure you get it right.

Whatever right is.

8. Having worked for the Royal family, i can tell you that the etiquette is that all decorations are warn to "Black Tie" events; serving or retired, officers or other ranks; when attending a mess or official function.

Unless stated otherwise!

9. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Of course you wear miniatures when she's about you muppet- she's The Queen!!! :D

For all other occasions involving formal evening wear there is:

White Tie
    Black Tie with Miniatures (also styled as Mess Dress or Black Tie with Miniatures)
    Black Tie

10. When I attended a mess function as a civy for my mates leaving do I chose not to wear mine. I do tend to wear medals on remembrance day. Damned if I can explain my decisions. I guess that I make it up as I go along as I do not see clear definitions. I do not like wearing my medals normally but sometimes (rarely), I see it as a sign of respect.

11. msr

msr LE

You've earned them, you wear them. The only ones who will complain are those with fewer or none.

msr

12. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

It normal for people to wear miniatures in black tie at a mess function although there are some functions were they don't. If you are in any doubt put them in your pocket and put them on when you arrive and find that everyone else has theirs on.

13. If the mess function is mess dress for mess members then they will be wearing their miniatures. It is therefore appropriate for civilian guests with decorations to wear miniatures on their DJ.

14. My wife is an arsifer and I was a serving WO1 and if her mess dinners and functions were Mess dress for members then I wore miniatures on my DJ, if it was just black tie then I wouldnt as neither did the mess members.

I go to Past and Present dinners too, theme seems to be if there are serving members and they are in mess dress then its miniatures on the DJ for retired types.

15. MESS DRESS AND DINNER JACKET (BLACK TIE )/EVENING DRESS (WHITE TIE)
    10. Wearing of Miniatures. Miniature decorations and medals are to be worn with
    evening dress (plain clothes).

Notes:
    1. Not more than a single star and a single neck badge are to be worn. The number of
    miniature badges and Medals on a Medal bar is not limited.
    2. Orders, Decorations and Medals may be worn as described above with soft or stiff
    collared shirts.
    3. On occasions when it is desired that decorations should

Above, is a selection of snipits taken from PAM 10, Hope this helps.