• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Minature Medals

Oh hallowed experts of ARRSE...

Like many of you, I dug out my medals for in preparation for the issue of the QDJM the other day and I was wondering about the history of wearing minatures. How and why did this curious tradition come about? What what so wrong with wearing full sized awards that smaller medals were found to be the way forward? And when did it all start?

If anyone could point me in the direction of some further reading on this, I would be most grateful.

No real reason for asking, I just like to know these things. :)

Thank you in advance,

Alan

It may be linked with the introduction of Mess Kit (1840's ish), a more relaxed (maybe not in todays terms) style of dress for evening dinners and balls etc.

I have posted this somewhere else as well, but has anyone ever had medals court mounted by The Medal Shop before? I have seen the work of some other people and have not been overly impressed with the standard, but have not heard of anyone who has had medals done by this guy before. Just wondering if he is as good as he says he is?

I have posted this somewhere else as well, but has anyone ever had medals court mounted by The Medal Shop before? I have seen the work of some other people and have not been overly impressed with the standard, but have not heard of anyone who has had medals done by this guy before. Just wondering if he is as good as he says he is?
If thats the Medal Mounting Shop, then they did a first class job for me.

Latest Threads