Minature Medals

Discussion in 'Medals' started by Alan Partridge, Jan 3, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Oh hallowed experts of ARRSE...

Like many of you, I dug out my medals for in preparation for the issue of the QDJM the other day and I was wondering about the history of wearing minatures. How and why did this curious tradition come about? What what so wrong with wearing full sized awards that smaller medals were found to be the way forward? And when did it all start?

If anyone could point me in the direction of some further reading on this, I would be most grateful.

No real reason for asking, I just like to know these things. :)

Thank you in advance,

2. It may be linked with the introduction of Mess Kit (1840's ish), a more relaxed (maybe not in todays terms) style of dress for evening dinners and balls etc.
  3. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

Probably in use much earlier, but I have my grandfather's miniatures from 14-18 (Pip, Squeak and Wilfred).
  4. That's what I suspected Poacher, but I couldn't find anything definitive.
  5. So you can put them on your action man of course.
  6. It was when they started accepting Dwarves in the military. And we've been downsizing ever since.
  7. I have posted this somewhere else as well, but has anyone ever had medals court mounted by The Medal Shop before? I have seen the work of some other people and have not been overly impressed with the standard, but have not heard of anyone who has had medals done by this guy before. Just wondering if he is as good as he says he is?
  8. Probably doesn't help much, but originally just ribbons were worn on the Mess Kit (up to the late 1800s anyway).
  9. If thats the Medal Mounting Shop, then they did a first class job for me.
  10. Ditto.