Min age for TA?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by _Fordy, Apr 9, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I realise the obvious answer is "google it, idiot" - but I thought I was sound in the knowledge that the minimum age for TA entry was 17 and 6 months.

However, as I'm nearing that point I've been looking into it more, and I've found conflicting info - 17, 17:6, and 18 all from various MoD posters, handouts, websites etc.

I guess some of the difference is probably when you can apply, and when you can start training or something?

But given that the usual advice on here is "just rock up on a parade night", what age can I do that? Tuesday that follows my 17th birthday? Or 6 months later? Or is it 18th?

Thanks!

EDIT:
    It'll be 6 RIFLES if regiment makes a difference.

2. Strictly, it is the date of attestation that makes a difference (min age 17), apart from needing parental permission if you are under 18. However, the unit (down to the TAC) does make a difference - some of them may not be fully able to legally cope with under-18s - I suggest you call the Rifles Battalion HQ and ask them.

I suspect that, on the "just rock up to a parade night" front, they'll talk to you as long as you are over 16.

3. Ah ok, thanks. That probably means the leaflet I have which says:
    it the one that'll apply - but I'll ring up none the less.

Thanks!

4. Indeed it is very confusing; I was under the impression I could apply after my 17th birthday so I emailed the unit I'm interested in joining (7Rifles) and was told that I would have to wait until 17 and 6 months. However, I know of units that recruit from 17 and also many from 18, so I guess it's down to the individual unit really.

5. I joined age 17 and 2 days old but it was nearly thirty years ago.

6. Ah that's helpful, cheers. Hopefully mine (6 RIFLES) will be the same then (or prefereably 17 0 months!) but I'll send an email to find out anyway.

One other question, once you join is initial training done with your unit on whatever night (Tues for me locally I think) and on weekends with your unit - or is there a regional/national training program similar to regulars training that you have to go off to do, returning to your local unit once completed?

Cheers.

• Like Like x 1
  7. That's great, thanks for that!