Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Milwaukee War Memorial recognizes 50th Anniversary of SP4 Gary Wetzel receiving the Medal of Honor

Milwaukee native Gary Wetzel was awarded the Medal of Honor, the U.S. military's highest and most prestigious decoration, on November 19, 1968, by President Lyndon B. Johnson for extraordinary heroism, conspicuous gallantry and intrepitdity at the risk of his life. Here's the story behind the story.

I am honored and humbled to say that I know this man. He is a contemporary of my friend, CPT T** L***. The Cap'n joined the Navy and served at US Naval Air Station Cubi Point in the Philippines, (supporting the war), and Gary Wetzel went into the Army and served two tours in South Vietnam. Mr. Gary Wetzel is enshrined in two Aviation Halls of Fame - one at FT Rucker, AL, and the other at FT Benning, GA. He was a role model of mine during my aviation school training at FT Rucker.