Milton Keynes

ugly

LE
Despite its grim reputation for many roundabouts and concrete cows I shall be journeying North to not so sunny MK in search of gainful employment and failing that a group of gullible idiots willing to buy my nasty brand of snake oil!
Q. Anything good bad or ugly about living in the centre of MK?

The fact that it is just there, however Bletchley is worth a visit.

terroratthepicnic

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Huge ski dome is worth a visit if you are into skiing. Other than that, I can't think of any other reason anyone would want to go there.

ugly

LE
I used to visit Bletchley about once a month for meetings so avoided MK like the plague. Sadly the interview is right next to the main station!

Its not that bad a place. Its obviously based on an American city. So loads off straight roads and blocks. There is a direct rail link to London. There was talk of an Oxford link via Bicester (Varsity line?).
Its okay for shopping (massive mall with an outside market attached).
You will be happy to know it has one of the largest Somali communityiin the UK.

I lived there for a year when I worked at the OU. I lived about a five minute walk from the town centre, although to be honest the novelty of living that close wore off eventually and I hardly ever ventured there. Although it does have a good theatre and a pretty decent art gallery.

If you're planning on moving there, I'd say despite the harsh reputation the place has got, it's actually not that bad. MK is essentially made up of lots of little villages that have been joined together - so there's a few village style pubs dotted around the place, and it has a lot of fields etc.

If you're planning on moving there, then I'd say just make sure you research which estate/part you end up living on, as there are a few to avoid (e.g. Coffee Hall, Tinkers Bridge - Fishermead used to have a bad rep, and still has, but to be honest it's not really deserved now).

If I found myself living there again, then I'd probably prefer to live away from the centre - somewhere like Stoney Stratford.

ugly

LE
I dont intend living there just lodging for a few months and weekends at home!

I believe The Style Council summed MK up to a tee . .

[video=youtube_share;1B88VUROxFg]http://youtu.be/1B88VUROxFg[/video]

Come to Milton Keynes

May I walk you home tonight
On this fine and lovely night tonight -
We'll walk past the luscious houses,
Through rolling lawns and lovely flowers -
Our nice new town where the curtains are drawn
Where hope is started and dreams can be borne.
Let us share our insanity
Go mad together in Community
Boys on the corner looking for their supper
Boys round the green looking for some slaughter -
We used to chase dreams now we chase the dragon [FC - this caused a stink in MK IIRC]
Mine is the semi with the Union Jack on.

In our paradise lost we'll be finding our sanity
In this paradise found we'll be losing our way -
For a brave new day.

May I slash my wrists tonight,
On this fine Conservative night tonight -
I was looking for a job so I came to town
I easily adopt when the chips are down -
I read the ad about the private schemes
I liked the idea but now I'm not so Keyne.

ugly

LE
The best thing about MK is the road system. It's extremely easy to GTFO town in a matter of minutes.
I never found that, in fact I was convinced that the town planner hadnt wanted roundabouts, he just kept moving his coffee cup around the plan!

Fronty

Old-Salt
Book Reviewer
Avoid taxis if you value your sanity or, if you like being driven around by psychotic frustrated rally drivers, use them. I don't mind fast driving, but the last time I was in a cab up there I was genuinely convinced I was going to die.

Oh, they've got an Ikea and the biggest Asda I have ever seen.

You'll love it.

ugly

LE
I lodged and worked there for a couple of months in the late 80's. Although it may have changed since I noticed the planners hadn't 'zoned' the town with all the industry in one area, residential in another, but had mixed it up. Therefore you didn't find all the traffic going in the same direction at peak hour.

The best thing about MK is the road system.
I'd stay off the MK roads if I were you. Every other fatal RTA report I get through from the Thames Valley Police area always involves someone snuffing it on their grid system.... Either that or they're all crap drivers...

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
living in MK sounds like a dream , untill you meet folks who do live there. Its isolated and decent nights out are an expensive trip to Northampton away. If you don't want a social life go for it .
do your research first as its harder to get out then in from there . I worked in Willan Lake for a year . Have you got a decent job to go to ? try stevenage ot welwyn garden city a decent commute to the smoke for work if needed. Good luck mate .

I worked in MK for 3 years, left last year. It's grey, has lots of chain pubs, is zoned effectively into areas called "This is where we shop" and "this is where we have fun" and is without doubt the most soulless toilet in the world. Each area between roundabouts has it's own little estate pub and parade of shops, effectively ensuring that inter-estate violence is the sport of choice, only at weekends do they come together to breed in public- My advice- just don't bother going out- it will destroy your sanity.

By the location you gave I'm assuming it's something to do with the mahoosive new railtrack head office?