Milton Keynes

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by ugly, Jan 17, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Despite its grim reputation for many roundabouts and concrete cows I shall be journeying North to not so sunny MK in search of gainful employment and failing that a group of gullible idiots willing to buy my nasty brand of snake oil!
    Q. Anything good bad or ugly about living in the centre of MK?

2. The fact that it is just there, however Bletchley is worth a visit.

• Like Like x 2
  3. terroratthepicnic

terroratthepicnic LE Reviewer Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Runners

Huge ski dome is worth a visit if you are into skiing. Other than that, I can't think of any other reason anyone would want to go there.

4. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

• Like Like x 1
  5. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I used to visit Bletchley about once a month for meetings so avoided MK like the plague. Sadly the interview is right next to the main station!

6. Its not that bad a place. Its obviously based on an American city. So loads off straight roads and blocks. There is a direct rail link to London. There was talk of an Oxford link via Bicester (Varsity line?).
    Its okay for shopping (massive mall with an outside market attached).
    You will be happy to know it has one of the largest Somali communityiin the UK.

7. I lived there for a year when I worked at the OU. I lived about a five minute walk from the town centre, although to be honest the novelty of living that close wore off eventually and I hardly ever ventured there. Although it does have a good theatre and a pretty decent art gallery.

If you're planning on moving there, I'd say despite the harsh reputation the place has got, it's actually not that bad. MK is essentially made up of lots of little villages that have been joined together - so there's a few village style pubs dotted around the place, and it has a lot of fields etc.

If you're planning on moving there, then I'd say just make sure you research which estate/part you end up living on, as there are a few to avoid (e.g. Coffee Hall, Tinkers Bridge - Fishermead used to have a bad rep, and still has, but to be honest it's not really deserved now).

If I found myself living there again, then I'd probably prefer to live away from the centre - somewhere like Stoney Stratford.

9. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I dont intend living there just lodging for a few months and weekends at home!

10. I believe The Style Council summed MK up to a tee . .

Come to Milton Keynes

May I walk you home tonight
    On this fine and lovely night tonight -
    We'll walk past the luscious houses,
    Through rolling lawns and lovely flowers -
    Our nice new town where the curtains are drawn
    Where hope is started and dreams can be borne.
    Let us share our insanity
    Go mad together in Community
    Boys on the corner looking for their supper
    Boys round the green looking for some slaughter -
    We used to chase dreams now we chase the dragon [FC - this caused a stink in MK IIRC]
    Mine is the semi with the Union Jack on.

In our paradise lost we'll be finding our sanity
    In this paradise found we'll be losing our way -
    For a brave new day.

May I slash my wrists tonight,
    On this fine Conservative night tonight -
    I was looking for a job so I came to town
    I easily adopt when the chips are down -
    I read the ad about the private schemes
    I liked the idea but now I'm not so Keyne.

11. The best thing about MK is the road system. It's extremely easy to GTFO town in a matter of minutes.

12. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I never found that, in fact I was convinced that the town planner hadnt wanted roundabouts, he just kept moving his coffee cup around the plan!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Fronty

Fronty Old-Salt Book Reviewer

Avoid taxis if you value your sanity or, if you like being driven around by psychotic frustrated rally drivers, use them. I don't mind fast driving, but the last time I was in a cab up there I was genuinely convinced I was going to die.

Oh, they've got an Ikea and the biggest Asda I have ever seen.

You'll love it.

14. Just keep driving straight on, all roads lead out of MK.;P

15. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I remain to be convinced as I use neither Asbos Nor Fukwitia!