Millions of UK Children Moving into Poverty

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Chodmeister, Sep 5, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Sat watching BBC morning news whilst having breakfast when they do a report on Save the Children's Report on child poverty. The poor woman interviewed, a single mother as usual, whittering on about rising costs of food, clothes etc. She then makes the statement "I myself have missed many meals to ensure my child has something to eat."

Would have been a fair comment if she hadn't looked like she ate all the pies and weighed 14 or 15 stone. Didn't look a genuine poverty case so why, if it's a real concern, can't the BBC find under privileged people who look the part? Just asking.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Harrumphh harrumphh, stupid of the BBC, they should have chosen an emaciated aids patient from amongst their own anally damned staff to play the part! I demand my licence fees be returned.......
  3. Poverty in the UK is measured relatively rather than absolutely. Yes, there are still people living in disgraceful shitholes of home but we most certainly do not have millions living in poverty the way it's understood in the majority of the world.

If it's been sent from my HTC Sensation using Tapatalk then I'm probably pissed.
    • Like Like x 3
  4. I blame the pensioners. If they hadn't had such a massive rise in their pensions last year due to mahoosive inflation, the relative poverty lines would have been lower and the kids in UK wouldn't have moved to relative poverty.
    ****ing pensioners! (Oh, and thank you for the rise, by the way)
    • Like Like x 1
  5. I hate the term "Child Poverty" as it disregards the point that their parents (or carers) must be in real dire straits if the children are suffering.

But are they really suffering? What criteria are used to judge poverty in this country when we have a Welfare system that should be enabling access to the basic needs of the population such as food, water, clothing, education and a roof over their heads?

I have no doubt some parents do go hungry so their children can eat. As a youngster growing up in Burnley I remember always being hungry but looking back my Mum was always stick thin, I remember Mum & Dad taking me for new school uniforms with vouchers and having to wear hand-me-downs and clothes from "thrift" shops, getting free school meals, having to walk to school and back (about 3 miles each way) in all weathers.
    • Like Like x 8
  6. It's mainly bollocks. Poverty in the UK means not having an xbox or whatever it is the kids bugger about with these days.
    • Like Like x 8
  7. Isn't the poverty line measured by the family income?
  8. How much of that is down to poverty or just a lack of any effort whatsoever from themselves to keep the place decent though? I've seen it before where an old run down shitty council estate gets bulldozed and all the residents are moved into nice new estates, and within a couple of years the place looks like a shithole again because none of them can be arsed to look after it. You can take the scum out of the slum, but you can't take the slum out of the scum.
    • Like Like x 4
  9. Normally it's defined as living on less than 60% of the average wage. The figures used by the BBC have been somewhat "adjusted" to exagerate the figures.

Think about that. It means that any increase in the average wage means that people whose circumstances haven't changed at all, suddenly find themselves officially "in poverty". No change in the income of "the poor". No change in what they can afford to buy. No change in prices. Yet they go to bed rich and wake up suddenly poor. It's ridiculous.

There is no poverty in this country and the BBC's ongoing mission to convince us that children are starving due to evil, Tory cuts is an insult to our intelligence.

If the BBC are so concerned about poverty, perhaps their "top executives" should be issued with Oyster cards instead of running up nearly 100 thousand quid a year in taxi expenses. Think how many hungry urchins that would feed.

BBC executive Caroline Thomson claimed £2,500 in taxi expenses - TV & Radio - Media - The Independent
    • Like Like x 3
  10. Save the Children wonk: Are you living in poverty Brandon-Jordan?

'Well right mush, we didn't get to afforda a new 50" plasma this year, it's a farking outrage!'

Save the Children wonk: So how has this effected the children?

"Well, Chradonnay-Mercedes is feeling right embarrassed coz all her mates call her poor as we only have a 42".
    • Like Like x 1
  11. If poverty was an absolute, rather than a percentage, this country would have none. I suspect that Save the children is getting ready to tap into a new revenue stream.

There is no reason in the UK for poverty, or 'starvation', but the hard of thinking who buy plasma screens, football strips, and lager and fags, before things like paying the bills and food will always be short of essentials. A financial culling and relocation programme is in order.
    • Like Like x 3
  12. i'm afraid that i too am jumping on the 'poor, or a fcuktard?' bandwagon.

the Mrs went out for a drink with a mate at the weekend - she was giving it the poormouth about eating soup for three days at the end of the month because thay ran out of money, and they are, apparently, right on the bones of their arse with the mortgage (neg equity as well). the discussion then turned to holidays: the 'poormouth' turns out to have had three weeks of log cabin holidays this summer (each at £800+?), they both drive relatively new, horribly inefficient cars (30mpg max), and matey goes 'out with the lads' every saturday night.

ex-sister in law is the same - giving it the poormouth (to be fair, she has a lower income), but she's got Sky, they like their drink and fags, no new gadget goes unbought, all the kids clothes come from Next and H&M - hasn't stopped her poncing off the ex-wife because they've no nappies, or no lunch money, or no bus fares, or no food in the house.
  13. They trotted out Arlene Phillips later, that well known expert on poverty, to argue the case that a TV, a PC, Broadband, a Mobile Phone and quality trainers were, in fact, essential to the well being of todays
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Even Labour admitted they'd defined child poverty in such a way that it near impossible to meet their own targets.

All that has happened is a levelling out net incomes across the (considerable) bottom end of the scale which means that the difference between not working, working a bit or working a lot on lower or even modest wages is pretty similar. I can't see that this has led to the 'fairer society' that many still seek.
  15. That's a different, but excellent point. I remember watching a documentary about social services. They were sent to a house because the couple living there were in such dire poverty that their three year old kid was sleeping on the floor. He didn't even have a mattress, let alone a bed.

On arrival, social services found the entire house bereft of furniture except for a sofa sitting in front of the plasma telly and Sky HD box. There was also a treadmill for the family pit bull and a fridge full of lager. The kid wasn't allowed to sleep on the sofa because he wet the bed.

If people are that crap at managing their income the state should stop giving them money and start giving them vouchers to force them to spend their income on essentials.

Edited to add ...

I see the Beeb have just spent over £300,000 trying to suppress publication of on internal report into biased reporting. That's thousands of licence fees, snatched from the mouths of starving urchins etc etc. I'm outraged. Can I pay the bus fare with Scottish notes?