Millionaire businessman convicted of fraud after selling fake bomb detectors.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by wg100, Apr 23, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ballsy to market these in the first place. Can't imagine there's much remorse having raked in what he did.

2. Rather makes me wonder what sort of bloody fools were taken in by such outlandish claims.
    • Like Like x 3
  3. There's three things I don't understand:

1 - Why bomb detectors? The morality of it is sickening.

2 - Why produce something with no scientific grounding at all? At least build a shit bomb detector so that you can't be prosecuted for fraud.

3 - If you're capable of pulling this off, why not start a legitimate business instead?
    • Like Like x 1
  4. 1 - Money has no morals. The love of money is the root of all evil remember.

2 - I would assume the "bomb detector" did something, it can be used to find golf balls so it must do something, which ould look good at a demo. A metal box with wires that goes "beep" wouldn't be as convincing?

3 - Finding something that will return a profit of 50Million for nothing but a bit of waffle and front isn't that easy.

4 - He is a **** but then again the people who gave him 50million are just as big a bunch of ***** to be taken in by him.
  5. <cynical mode>

As effective at stopping terrorist attacks as metal detectors and X-ray machines at airports, or for that matter armed police at UK airports, or, yes, Scimitars parked outside airports

</cynical mode>

Whether they actually physically detect bombs or not, they're part of the 'security theatre' - admitting publicly that they don't work actually makes them not work, telling everyone that they do work, even if they don't, actually makes them effective at reducing bomb attacks
    • Like Like x 5
  6. I believe the golf ball detector was a novelty item, rather than something that actually worked. Effectively, a box with wires that went beep.

Someone who can sell £50m of fake bomb detectors would have no trouble selling something that actually worked.

Not all of them. Most people would assume that an established product that's in use by governments around the world is going to work; and many wouldn't have access to the materials required to test such a device.
  7. Stand-by for no-win-no-fee compensation claims from dozens of Iraqi victims, if he hasn't managed to conceal all his ill-gotten assets.

I wonder whether he had PLI and whether that would cover it.
  8. Not a single fake bomb was detected.
    • Like Like x 3
  9. Bastard stole my idea, what about a dodgy remote control bomb detector next. It can only detect bombs after they have detonated. Any one got any better sales pitches
  10. Whatever happened to the concept of "Caveat Emptor"?

He was able to make a bundle of cash flogging shite to Johnny Foreigner - well done that man. More fool the idiots who bought them without trialling them first.

• Like Like x 1
  11. About bloody time. Wonder how many Coalition lives were lost because of Iraqi Security Forces using, what is in effect, nothing more than a bloody wire coat hanger.
  12. I can’t verify it but I found this:
    RadarGolf System - Review of the RadarGolf Ball Positioning System

Assuming that is correct then it would be easy to demonstrate the equipment by putting one of the chips in a fake bomb and then finding it.

Of course a competent organisation would provide their own bomb to be found and so prove that it did not actually detect bombs.
  13. [​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1
  14. My point exactly !
  15. This sort:

" now alleged by an Iraqi whistleblower that McCormick paid millions of pounds in bribes to senior Iraqis to secure the deals. Inspector general Aqil al-Turehi of the Iraqi interior ministry told a BBC Newsnight investigation: "This gang of Jim McCormick and the Iraqis working with him killed my people in cold blood."

A former colleague of McCormick told the BBC he saw him set up accounts in false names for 15 Iraqi officials. He said they "don't care if people live or die"; the only thing they care about is "how much am I going to get back – cashback".

UK businessman found guilty of selling fake bomb detectors to Iraq | UK news |