• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Milling

Do you wear a head guard or gumshield during milling? Got knocked out sparing over the weekend and that was with a headguard. Also do you lose points for being knocked out, even if you're giving it 100% aggression - not blocking, ducking or defending in any way?

Sorry if this has been discussed before.

Now days I would think you get a “fits all” gum shield. And you use very large gloves, 17oz I think. So it is hard to get knocked out. As long as you try and have a go that is all that matters.

Not sure if you are able to take part if you have a boxing card.

Mate, the Health and fitness section in the forum index is a goldmine of useful crap. Check that. CV stuff I do - running, obviously, (try fartlek - that f*cks ya up good style), swimming, which I reckon is harder than running CV wise, cycling and skipping (seriously), and bag work. Don't worry about not sparing at ya gym, it's sensible if all the other guys are big cnuts, that's the mistake I made this weekend! I guess so long as ya got the aggression that's what they're looking for.

Try and find a rough - as gym, the type with straw on the floor and buckets of sand nailed to the walls to puke into. I go to one and it's great! :D Much better than your Esporta type place cos there you get to distracted by all the fanny on the rowing machines. Good or bad, you decide.

If I remember correctly they didn't give a t0ss on the all arms if you could box or not, if you start poncing around boxing they used to stop the fight tell you to get a grip and get back in. It's all about 100% aggression an giving everything you have, there is no technique and just because you did more damage to the other bloke than he did to you, it wouldn't mean you would win the fight. If the other bloke gave everything and you didn't you would lose.

G

Goku

offog said:
you use very large gloves, 17oz I think. So it is hard to get knocked out.
No, they use role mats now and the knock out comes from when you get your face stepped on.

Fighting with cloths on is not an option :D

Goku said:
offog said:
you use very large gloves, 17oz I think. So it is hard to get knocked out.
No, they use role mats now and the knock out comes from when you get your face stepped on.

Fighting with cloths on is not an option :D
I think he is going for the army not the navy. :wink:

Milling requires you to stand toe-to-toe with someone who's approximately being measured off with you for the same height and weight and then attempting to batter him for 1 minute. No boxing or ninja technique involved at all other than head up and punch like f*ck. Don't bother with body shots, it's head shots that count. Headguards are used now, not sure about the glove size though and no gum shields are used!

In terms of P Coy events it's the easiest - 60 seconds worth of effort, aggression and bottle - but demonstrating those qualities when the other bloke is trying to do the same by knocking your block off makes it an excellent event. It's an excellent means to an end!

We used to 'train' for it by pummelling a punch bag for a minute, resting, then doing it again and again. No rocket science involved in that at all!

It's bloody appalling. There's a reason why the BMA are anti-boxing. :(. I'm not a neurosurgeon but the amount of work done by neurosurgeons for boxing is just ... astonishing.

Milling isn't appalling, wearing gum shields and head guards during it is whats appalling... half the fun is comparing bruises the next day! Yet another example of PC sh*t f*cking with a great and noble and mindlessly brutal tradition!

How does that effect the relationship between new Toms/Crows and the older heads when they get to regiment? I would be urined off if I had to do it with headguards and gum shields if the the guys before me already in the Regt had done it without them. Is this the case?

The_Duke

LE
RAMC_Medic said:
It's bloody appalling. There's a reason why the BMA are anti-boxing. :(. I'm not a neurosurgeon but the amount of work done by neurosurgeons for boxing is just ... astonishing.
As opposed to the amount of work required to treat people injured in motorcycle accidents per year? People have a choice to box or not - if they chose to box, they have to accept the risks that go with it. As do people who ride horses, play rugby or any other hazardous activity.

Anyway, milling is only for one minute, the worst is usually a broken nose or the odd brief knock out. No great hardship really! As for the comment about the old sweats, that can be filed along with the rest of "it was harder in my day". It is how it is done today, it is still a good test. Long may milling reign!

stabandswat said:
How does that effect the relationship between new Toms/Crows and the older heads when they get to regiment? I would be urined off if I had to do it with headguards and gum shields if the the guys before me already in the Regt had done it without them. Is this the case?
I agree with The_Duke's 'in my day..' comments on milling and would add that the blokes are more likely to be asked 'did they win or not?' Milling produces pleny of stories in the bar too especially if there's video footage to go with it

Quote from Op Zambezie milling a few years ago. Picture the scene 2 chicks milling, girl A "I've just been hit in the lips", PTI "keep going lass you've got 2 sets". Made me chuckle.

RAMC_Medic said:
Interestingly (and being train spotterish about it!), there is plenty of evidence, albeit anecdotal, that old style "prizefighters" of the Bare Knuckle Era (C18th - 19th) suffered far less neurological damage than do modern boxers! Use of bare fists limited the frequency/ power of head blows, and if a fighter went down (i.e. one knee on the ground) the "round" ended. There were no fixed period "rounds" - they fought until one went down, and then a break was called to allow for recovery; this explains why fights often lasted 50 or more "rounds".

Fights ended when one man surrendered or was unable to continue, and this usually happened due to exhaustion rather than "knock-outs", which were quite rare. Prizefighters suffered terribly from cuts, and no doubt - on occasion - internal injuries caused by "throws", body blows - but they did not, in general, sustain the multiple concussive blows to the head that (combined with dehydration - often a result of need to make weights etc) are the main cause of the brain rotation, tearing etc that can be so devastating in modern boxers.

British Army "milling" as part of selection/ training originated with the first commando units of WW2, and when 2 Cdo became the first designated para unit in 1940 they took the habit with them. In those early days, it too was done bare knuckle.

As far as I'm aware, only Para Reg (and maybe SF?) do milling today, but when I was in Rowallan Coy, RMAS, 1981, it was a regular feature of the programme - not just a "one-off" experience! Probably explains why so many RowCo alumni are vaguely unhinged and have eyes that rotate constantly in opposite directions.

Latest Threads