Millibean suggests giving us a vote on EU membership

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Pyianno, May 19, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Weren't we promised this before?

• Like Like x 1
  2. No we were promised a vote on the EU Constitution, which was subsequently renamed the Lisbon Treaty in order to sidestep the inconvenience of letting the public have a say.

This is a proposal for an in/out referendum, which we've not had since 1975. The EU today is a very different beast from the old ECC or whatever it was called.

3. He can promise to give everyone in the land free money and a bottle of elixir of youth whilst he is in opposition. Watch it all vanish like the morning mist or the wording change to the extent that it becomes meaningless if he ever becomes PM.

• Like Like x 9
  4. I take what any politician says with a large pinch of salt. All parties promise what the electorate want to hear in the hope of being elected only to do a complete u-turn afterwards.

5. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

yep - tories saying they might put it in their 2015 manifesto and ed ball saying no reason why we couldnt have a vote in the next 10 years.

despite current polls putting 60% of the polled public wanting out of the eu just like most of the rest of the eu countries because we think its shit.

but of course that wouldnt be in the public interest would it - voting for the ending of a non democratic policy union.

6. If anyone truly believes what a politician tells them could you PM me.
    I have some really great deals on real estate in Florida you will be interested in.

• Like Like x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  7. There is certainly very little to commend him.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Laboor 14 points ahead in the polls. They have made their own voting clique of spongers scroungers and no marks.

9. Bare with me now, but there's just a small possibility that the politician's lying.

10. It's amazing how they sober up once every five years for long enough to stumble down to the nearest ballot box and cough up enough blood to put a red mark next to the red candidate.

Never ceases to amaze me.

• Like Like x 1
  11. The only way they will give the vote is if the EU is crumbling anyway. If the next set of elections in Greece go the wrong way (from a Euro stand point) it is a very distinct possibility that more countries would be in a position reconsider their membership of the EU, especially if Greece do not immediately go belly up after jumping ship

12. Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.

I am not buying what you have to sell Mr Millibean.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Wordsmith

Wordsmith LE Book Reviewer

It might prompt the Tories to go down the same route for two reasons:

-- To prevent Labour having sole ownership of a popular policy
    -- To stop a haemorrhage of votes to UKP

The rather interesting result of politicians trying to play politics with this is that they might start a momentum for a referendum it would be difficult to halt.

From the UK POV, we would be better off exiting the EU while staying in a Europe wide trading area.

-- We gain £10 billion from no longer paying into EU coffers.
    -- We junk crap like the Human Rights Act so we can fcuk off hook hand and his like sharpish
    -- We get to have laws that suit the UK, not ones that are 'one size fits all' for the whole of Europe.
    -- We get to junk a lot of useless EU inspired regulation.
    -- We get to send back a lot of the 'benefit tourists' from EU countries who are exploiting our benefits system. (Big financial saving)
    -- Etc

Its difficult to see a downside from exiting the EU and joining a Europe wide trading area.

Wordsmith

• Like Like x 5