Millennials eh?

Ex-Ten

War Hero
From this months "Soldier" magazine.

A week off to rest before test week, are they going soft?

Pcoy.jpg

A week off to rest before test week, are they going soft?
Sounds like decent sports science to me - give them a week to sort out any trivial injuries and let their bodies recover, before putting them into one of the most demanding physical tests around. It takes some of the "unlucky" out of the equation.

If the test standard doesn't change, then what have you got to complain about?

TamH70

MIA
I say break them before we make them.
We don't have enough recruits as it is with Crapita for that kind of thinking to continue.

Sounds like decent sports science to me - give them a week to sort out any trivial injuries and let their bodies recover, before putting them into one of the most demanding physical tests around. It takes some of the "unlucky" out of the equation.

If the test standard doesn't change, then what have you got to complain about?
Its not a bad idea, however, I doubt many of them will rest, they will just do PT unsupervised, most fit people rarely take the opportunity to rest even when they should.

Oyibo

LE
The PTI in charge of my Depot Para Pl's fitness in 1988 did the same with us. After a week our bodies were going mad for hard phys.

But then the debate comes to whether it is a physical test or a mental one (or a blend of the two).

They changed the Commando Course several years back.
When i went through you did a grueling 10 day Final Ex then 1-2 days rest and then straight into the Commando tests.
The idea was that the Commando tests were easily achievable by the time you got to that stage of training, but the Final Ex was designed to drain you physically and mentally before you started the tests.

Not long after I did mine, they changed it so that you did the Commando tests first and then did the Final Ex as they found that too many blokes were getting broken.

These changes don't seem to have affected the quality of blokes coming through the system. In fact the pioneering of and reliance on sports science within the Royal Marine training is one of the things they have done very well.

Edit: I kind of remember being told that they may have swapped it all back recently, but I was drunk in the Moody Brook at the time so I have no idea why or if it was true. :)

I always got the impression that P Coy in its entirety was designed to be unrelenting in its pressure on both body and resolve- that was kind of the point of it. If you took any individual event any reasonably fit person would like as not get through it: A three week long beasting not so much.
If they want to make it “easier” the next step will be to do the events piecemeal as the AR PARA battalions used to do.

Offa

War Hero
Enlisted in Paras in 1966. Starting at Maida Barracks and on to Wales (twice) then Abingdon; we didn't have P Coy, it was all one and the same. Beasting all through. IIRC we had a 48 hour after we passed off the square and another just before second Brecon. But going to RAF Abingdon after Brecon was better than a week off. Then back after final exercise at Thetford for Pass Out and, at last, some decent leave.

Its not a bad idea, however, I doubt many of them will rest, they will just do PT unsupervised, most fit people rarely take the opportunity to rest even when they should.
You'd be surprised at the effect of overtraining. And yes, there's always the enthusiast who decides to overtrain (even when advised against it) because they desperately want to outperform - but the advice won't be "put feet up and do nothing", it will be "get any blisters / cuts sorted out, let your muscles recover from the hammering of the workup training, exercise gently rather than trying to add 'moar muscle' in that rest week". If you haven't got the fitness, another week of training isn't going to fix it; if you have got the fitness, that week of rest will better allow you to demonstrate it.

Most serious athletes will tail off their training in the last week beforehand, rather than hammering it, right up to the day before the event - it's all part of their training plan. Look at every sane Marathon training program you've ever seen; does it say "Day before race: go out and thrash yourself", or is that just a recipe for a poor performance?

You'd be surprised at the effect of overtraining. And yes, there's always the enthusiast who decides to overtrain (even when advised against it) because they desperately want to outperform - but the advice won't be "put feet up and do nothing", it will be "get any blisters / cuts sorted out, let your muscles recover from the hammering of the workup training, exercise gently rather than trying to add 'moar muscle' in that rest week". If you haven't got the fitness, another week of training isn't going to fix it; if you have got the fitness, that week of rest will better allow you to demonstrate it.

Most serious athletes will tail off their training in the last week beforehand, rather than hammering it, right up to the day before the event - it's all part of their training plan. Look at every sane Marathon training program you've ever seen; does it say "Day before race: go out and thrash yourself", or is that just a recipe for a poor performance?
How many times have you seen fit soldiers ignore their sick chit and try to get back to PT as soon as they can? Especially young soldiers (obviously I'm talking about the fittest soldiers not the biffs)

How many times have you seen fit soldiers ignore their sick chit and try to get back to PT as soon as they can? Especially young soldiers (obviously I'm talking about the fittest soldiers not the biffs)
Agreed. And our training squad used to counsel and watch the youngsters in order to (try and) avoid exactly that.

Agreed. And our training squad used to counsel and watch the youngsters in order to (try and) avoid exactly that.
Unless you put a ball and chain on them, it's quite hard. They'll just go for a gentle 2 mile jog... just to stretch off... 10 miles with a big sprint finish later...
Just human nature for guys and girls who are focused on a fitness goal.

Unless you put a ball and chain on them, it's quite hard. They'll just go for a gentle 2 mile jog... just to stretch off... 10 miles with a big sprint finish later...
Just human nature for guys and girls who are focused on a fitness goal.
Only the ones by that point who are too f***ing thick to listen to the good advice. They're the same ones who:
  • fail to listen to good advice about "supplements" (even international-level athletes think they won't get tested)
  • believe that drinking lots of water will get you through CDT
  • believe that shagging a Central American prostitute bareback was fine, because you could only catch AIDS through **** (it was a regular Lt who insisted on this one, when we were on the piss in Belize in 1992; wouldn't listen to the STAB next to me whose full-time job was NHS, and who sat on various committees working on infection control / STDs).
It's only "human nature" for the thick twats in other words.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Oddbod The NAAFI Bar 199

Latest Threads