Military Wedding Questions?

Discussion in 'Seniors' started by ironrations, Feb 11, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. How do all. I'm not sure where the best place to post this was, but I reckoned my fellow mess members would probably have seen it, done it and have the answers!

I'm getting married later this year, firstly, who from my battalion is it traditional to invite and should it be by letter, or fancy card like everyone else? I'm in a small section with only a Lt as brass, not located anywhere near my parent unit, does that make a difference?

Secondly, I'd like to have the sword guard affair as we leave the chapel, is this ok for an SNCO? Or is it just for officers? Should the guard be in ones the same as me, or are they only allowed No.2 dress (Ones would look better, I reckon). Also, wheres the best place to get swords from, I'm after the gen ones if allowed, so thanks but no thanks for any offers of Samurai style ones from your attics!

Lastly, I remember hearing that you get to wear a rank up on your wedding day. Is this gen or is it just for privates?

Thanks for your help, just want to do things right and proper.

2. If your Lt is a "brass" then keep her well away from the wedding mate. She'll be having the best man while you are cutting the cake. :p

3. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

1. It's traditional to invite whoever the hell you want. It's your wedding, not your units. You are under no obligation whatsoever to invite unit personalities (PC/RSM/OC/CO/etc) just because you feel you "have" to.

2. If there are individuals within your unit you wish to attend, bung them the same invite as everyone else gets. If the individual is an aforementioned personality, send them a formal letter with the same invite attached - it's a civilian function, not a military one.

3. The sword guard affair usually isn't a problem no matter what rank you are. It's your big day, run it as you see fit.

4.The "rank up" thing is usually for OR's and LCpls only, probably just to make the wedding pics look better. As a SNCO, why would you want to do this? I'm sure something is mentioned in QR's somewhere, but don't have it to hand at the moment.

4. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

5. The guard can be in 1's or 2's, it's up to you. Having them all in 1's will enhance the look of the ceremony as a whole, however having yourself in 1's and the guard in 2's will divert the attention towards yourself and your wife.

5. As per usual it's the details biting me in the ass! Its not a military function per se, but its on military property, so I was more asking whether I should invite any brass, out of courtesy for them allowing me use of the facilities, I'd assume they wouldn't attend as they are all based in Germany!

I'm happy as a Sgt, so won't really want to wear a rank up! But just wanted to have an answer to hand.

Cheers for the gen!

6. The dress is big enough to be visible on google earth, so no extra attention needed apparently! That and we will allegedly be surrounded by gawking tourists!

7. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

Slightly confused - I assume you're getting hitched in a church that is part of a Garrison/Station, is this church in Germany or UK? If your unit is in Germany and your getting hitched in a garrison church in the UK, then i'd bung a courtesy invite to the Garrison/Station commander - and vice versa.

There is still no requirement to invite unit personalities to your wedding unless you like the bloke and would like him to attend. The invite to the garrison/station commander is a thank-you for him letting you use his church. The worst case scenario is that he'll actually turn up, but you should still invite him anyway.

Edit: This basically gets round the fact that if you get married in a normal community church, the bloke who it belongs to is the bloke who is doing the ceremony, so he's already on the list!

8. Its Edinburgh Garrison chapel.... my Bn is in JHQ...so, courtesy invite to the Garrison commander. Cheers!

9. Firstly, congrats, Iron on your forthcoming marriage. Secondly gents, can either of you tell me if it's still tradition to write and ask permission from your CO before getting wed? I am also getting married later this year but, as mobilised TA would it be more appropriate to ask my current CO or my CO of my parent TA unit? If I still need to ask permission, how should I word the letter?

Ta,

Red

10. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

It's never been tradition to ask your CO for permission. It's was however polite to ask her old man. It is obviously advisable not to arrange the thing around a major deployment or event.

Where do these things come from.

11. Cheers for that, EB. It was probably just my fuddled memory that had me believing I needed permission. I've asked her old man, he's ok about it but her husband wasn't very happy!

12. Back in 90 I put a letter in to the CO and he invited me for a chat and a cup of coffee-he said one should have at least 1 interview WITH coffee in the course of a career(i am still waiting for the second one) and he always did that when he recieved such letters irrespective of the rank of the sender-but then he was a pretty decent bloke

13. Tytus_Barnowl

Tytus_Barnowl On ROPs

It's a good idea to ask the CO, especially if followed up with a leave application. That is one they will NOT refuse.
    8) 8) 8) 8)