Military Wedding Dress Regs

Discussion in 'The Other Half' started by Reggie9MM, Dec 15, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, Im new to ARRSE and I've only been a Gunner for a little over a year. Im trying to get some serious answers to a couple of questions that endless amounts of net surfing has failed to answer. I have also asked JNCO's and SNCO's and everytime I get a different answer.

I currently serve with the Royal Artillery and I am getting married next year. My future wife has planned the event well and desperately wants to stay in keeping with RA tradition. I have planned an Honour Guard/Sword Guard purely for the traditional photographs but I am unsure as to whether we are 'permitted' to wear swords with our No1 Dress as we are all at the bottom of the command chain. I/they have no intention of performing any form of salute as we are only Gunners and therefore there is no one to salute to, but I would like us to be able to wear the swords as a compliment to the military uniform.

Does anybody know where the dress regs stand on this matter or is it just a personal choice? :?

I understand that anybody can hire these swords from many reputable companies.

Many thanks.
  2. Techically, it should only be you in No 1 Dress and the honour guard in 2's. As for the swords, you can wear them.
  3. I've never seen anyone less than WO1 wear a sword, are regs different across the cap badges?
  4. Me neither.
  5. RA dress regs- you can wear the swords with permission. Have you asked your RSM as this is his area?
  6. The RA has dress regs? Looking at some of the officers in the past I very much doubt it :) I'm sure Gremlin or Cuddles will agree on this at some point.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 2

7. True, I just like the photo.

Can't really offer the OP any "good" advice other than speak to your RSM, he'll be able to give you the gen info.
  8. IIRC the above photo to which you refer was of some cadet type travesty, and has been excoriated at length elsewhere on ARRSE.
  9. The groom is normally in No 1 Dress (ceremonial) and the Guard of Honour in No 1 Dress (non-ceremonial).

As for the swords, do the right thing and book a slot with your RSM...he's the one that'll give you shit if you get it wrong so get the gen from the horse's mouth!
  10. Doesnt matter what you wear, just make sure yer wifes not wearing kinckers
  11. Yeah, there was a DIN issued last year re dress at weddings. It basically says that all normal dress restrictions do not apply when getting married.

It goes on to say:

Soldiers should always, where possible, marry in No 1 Dress.

Wearing a badge of rank higher than the soldier actually holds is admissable, but ony one substantive rank higher .

Gold braid should be tailored to the jacket shoulders and cuffs, irrespective of regimental or corps dress regulations.

Unauthorised and non-entitled medals may be worn, as can sword belts. Swords must be worn and carried by all ranks when
    getting married.

If you are on DII, put "wedding dress" into the MOD Intranet search engine and the DIN will appear. If not please feel free to use this message as your authority to wear the said attire.
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Write a short letter to your RSM asking for advice, I'm sure he will brief you on what you can do, Ea CORPS/Regts have different policies. I have organised a few Guards of honour and we all had swords.

The Guard of Honour salute is not for an Officer it is for the Ceremony so everyone is entitled to that. Search for an example on Utube there are a few proper examples on there (and many sh*te TA/Cadet examples)

if you turn up at your RSMs door un-announced you'll probably get fucked off!