Military Watches - article

Reading about the history of timepieces and the military, and how they different from civilian watches. two things stood out, the shrapnel-protectors used in WW1 watches and an airman's watch that is cantered so is easier to read without excessive arm movement (image used is for wearing on right wrist).

1592397961984.png

1592397999951.png

Mattb

LE
A shrapnel-proof watch?

I'd have thought that if you're being hit by bits of supersonic metal, that whether or not your watch came out of it in one piece would be the last thing you'd be concerned about. I suppose it's good for your mates though.

A shrapnel-proof watch?

I'd have thought that if you're being hit by bits of supersonic metal, that whether or not your watch came out of it in one piece would be the last thing you'd be concerned about. I suppose it's good for your mates though.
US specification. The UK specification would have just been to avoid breaking the glass face on a protruding bit of wood.

A mate had a canted wristwatch it was a 1960s Omega drivers watch. Worn on the inside of the left wrist you could read it without removing your hand from the wheel.

UKTAP

LE
This is the only military watch you'll ever need:

If you feel the need to spend more money on something that is more pretentious, uncomfortable, awkward to read and fragile, but can't decide what to get, the same effect can be achieved by simply burning bundles of £20 notes.

morsk

LE
I wear one of these. A tenner.

7174Va0pCwL._AC_UX569_.jpg

UKTAP

LE
Yeah bwoi

Did I say it cost a tenner and I wear it at work?
Have you done Brecon though? Because if you haven't you can't wear one, and must use the fleece lined pockets on your smock rather than the ones with buttons on the front.

morsk

LE
Have you done Brecon though? Because if you haven't you can't wear one, and must use the fleece lined pockets on your smock rather than the ones with buttons on the front.
I have. Oh, look at me having a conversation with myself @The_Duke ....

morsk

LE
FFS don't @ him. It'll be the death of the thread.
Deja vu. I was going to say EXACTLY the same thing. Are you sure you aren't me?

morsk

LE
Deja vu. I was going to say EXACTLY the same thing. Are you sure you aren't me?
Hahahahaha. That wasn't childish at all.

Now my kids think I'm retarded for laughing with my head on the table. Cheers for that.

morsk

LE
Used to wear one of these:

61zIZO738RL._AC_SL1024_.jpg

But the strap broke. £55 later, and 5 months, strap went again. Not a happy bunny.

Latest Threads