Military/War movies that aren't focused on Infantry/Armour

Are there any military movies (or even TV series) out there that don't focus on the infantry or armoured side of things? E.g. Int corps, REME, artillery sort of stuff? On the navy side I've been trying to find good submarine movies, and have really only encountered 'Das Boot'. Obviously there's quite a few pilot movies out there, but are there much movies on other roles in the air force?

Some movies/TV series off the top of my head that I've found fit under this description

Captain Phillips (does focus on the SEALs but also largely on the wider navy)
JAG (TV) - although I don't really rate it
MASH (TV)
The Imitation Game (focuses a bit on Int Corps during WWII)
Rules of Engagement (military law)

No there all about Snipers these days, despite my idea about a movie focusing on the life and loves of an AVLB crew all they want to do is show moves about americans shooting people at long ranges.

Are there any military movies (or even TV series) out there that don't focus on the infantry or armoured side of things? E.g. Int corps, REME, artillery sort of stuff? On the navy side I've been trying to find good submarine movies, and have really only encountered 'Das Boot'. Obviously there's quite a few pilot movies out there, but are there much movies on other roles in the air force?

Some movies/TV series off the top of my head that I've found fit under this description

Captain Phillips (does focus on the SEALs but also largely on the wider navy)
JAG (TV) - although I don't really rate it
MASH (TV)
The Imitation Game (focuses a bit on Int Corps during WWII)
Rules of Engagement (military law)
Sub Movies
"Run Silent, Run Deep"

Charge of the Light Brigade
has no tanks

Last I Looked the Cruel Sea has none either

It aint half hot mum - RA concert party - lovely boy lovely boy?

"The Hill" ?

The Dam Busters.
Sink the Bismarck.
The Hunt for the Red October if you want some fiction
U571, about the capture of enigma by the USN, complete crap.
The man who never was. Based on the deception that was Operation Mincemeat, prior to the Op Husky landings. All naval intelligence type stuff.
The railway man. Eric Lomax was in the signals and was captured but he Japanese. The film is about his time as a PoW and the effect on his life and meeting one of the interrogators after the war. I haven't seen the film, but the book is good.

I can't think of films that portray the behind the scenes work of the RAF.

RP.

Last edited:
'Get some in!'

RAF, national service, no tanks, ships or planes.

Plus fills in Citizen Smith's back story and motivation.

There was also a series set in an RAF weather station.

I can't think of films that portray the behind the scenes work of the RAF.

RP.
Target for tonight was produced during the war in part for propaganda purposes and features all the roles necessary for a raid, with many of the parts being played by real personnel.

Last edited:
As mentioned already, The Cruel Sea.
We Dive at Dawn.
Above us the waves.
Sink the Bismark
The Dam Busters

All good films.

Target for tonight was produced during the war in part for propaganda purposes and features all the roles necessary for a raid.
It's not a film I've seen, will have a look around for it.

RP.

The Caine Mutiny

The Malta Story.

Dunkirk, although it's based on an infantry section's exploits, has lots on the RA and RN.

Latest Threads