military veterans to get priority NHS treatment

I have to give a presentation of the following topic next week. I've done most of the research so far and put it together. I'd just like to get a few opinions/quotes on the topic. Cheers, GB

"UK military veterans should/should not have a higher priority of treatment in the NHS because..."

They should not, as all citizens have an equal right in the nation.
Equally, if their illness is a result of, or can be attributed to, their service to the nation, they should, as their actions have preserved the nation and its citizens.

rickshaw said:
Equally, if their illness is a result of, or can be attributed to, their service to the nation, they should, as their actions have preserved the nation and its citizens.
So speaks the man living in Greece if your location is to be believed.

Do one. Should. End of.

Heedthebaw said:
rickshaw said:

Do one. Should. End of.

Er... Cyprus, shurely?

Good one Rickshaw, should make you very popular. You let all the benefit scroungers, illegals, migrants, gippos, chavs and the pond life of this country etc go first whilst the serviceman who has given his all for this sceptred isle, suffers at home and probably in pain. Why let politicians get special treatment and special pensions, most of them at the moment seem to be embroiled in financial scams and most do little if anything for the good of this country.
And you wonder why over a third of the people sleeping rough on the streets of London are ex-servicemen ???

I actually agree with Rickshaw on this. If your illness/health problem is caused by your service in the forces then yes, you absolutely should get priority.

However if it isn't then there's no reason why priority should be given to servicemen/ex-servicemen for these conditions.

I believe veterans SHOULD be given preferential treatment by the NHS. Any man or woman putting their lives on the line for their country deserves as much - and more. Mind you it would be nice if serving personnel were given the best of medical treatment too (still takes seven and a half times longer to CASEVAC a Brit soldier in Afghanistan than it did the Americans in Viet Nam almost forty years ago).

Britain should try to emulate the USA in care and respect for their veterans AND their serving men and women.

Oh yes! We get a Veterans badge!

To add a twist, it would be nice if serving TA soldiers were a priority, they come off tour and end up NHS chasing for months or more. Maybe serving forces should get to the front of the queue? Regulars have the mil system but reservists have nothing.

psychobabble said:
I actually agree with Rickshaw on this. If your illness/health problem is caused by your service in the forces then yes, you absolutely should get priority.

However if it isn't then there's no reason why priority should be given to servicemen/ex-servicemen for these conditions.
The problem is that there is no de facto priority for war pensioners/AFCS recipients as any referral is down to the GP who does not have to recognise priority.
At the moment priority only applies when one has managed to persuade the GP to refer one to hospital and received an Outpatient/Inpatient appointment.

gun-bunny said:
I have to give a presentation of the following topic next week. I've done most of the research so far and put it together. I'd just like to get a few opinions/quotes on the topic. Cheers, GB

"UK military veterans should/should not have a higher priority of treatment in the NHS because..."
Should..........They deserve it due to their willingness to put themselves in harms way on behalf of this country and any self respecting civvy should gladly stand aside and let a wounded veteran get treated before them out of thankful respect. :D

psychobabble said:

My Bold.

The reason is because they have, at some point in their life served their nation.

That is reason enough. I also believe, that if they discharge honourably (ie not kicked out) they should get a lifelong lower rate of tax (10 %) and free public transport for life.

Why? Because they have SERVED. What about you?

Heedthebaw said:
The reason is because they have, at some point in their life served their nation.

That is reason enough. I also believe, that if they discharge honourably (ie not kicked out) they should get a lifelong lower rate of tax (10 %) and free public transport for life.

Why? Because they have SERVED. What about you?
Too right! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Sorry, but this will never happen despite all the anouncesments by Government to the contrary.

Doctors are required by their training and Hypocratic oath to put the mediacl needs of the patient first above all other considerations. This means that they will only ever assess a patients priority against his/her clinical needs. Any atempt to force them to give higher priorities to specific groups will be ignored i the face of medical priorities.

Veterans getting priority is a nice idea but it will never happen as doctors are not ethically allowed to do it.

Heedthebaw said:
rickshaw said:

Do one. Should. End of.
Hmmmm, sharp bite. The fellah asked for the yes and no angle. I gave him the left and right of arc.
If you're going to pick a fight, choose your terrain (and start by using Cyprus as a battlespace as some of the more acute here have already noted).
Oh, and whats wrong with living in Greece anyway? (not that I am....)

heed thebaw has posited the idea that those who have served in the Armed Forces should, in addition to a priority medical system, enjoy a lower tax rate than others. Whilst I'd love to contemplate both, can you imagine our nation pandering to its (ex)military in this way without the Police, Fire Service NHS, Ambulance, Civil service et al, who have all "served", crying out for equal status?
Conversely, were we to emply the same structures as our American cousins, ex service personnel could pop in to their local military hospital, shop at the PX (Bad choice, who voluntarily goes into the NAAFI in the UK), have parking facilities in barraks............ admittedly, the American military, as a citizen's force, enjoys a different regard from its populace than rhat which the UK forces have with theirs, but they at least are structured and resourced to look after "their own" - and thats what I'd like to see UK plc providing.

chicken_jim said:
Sorry, but this will never happen despite all the anouncesments by Government to the contrary.

Doctors are required by their training and Hypocratic oath to put the mediacl needs of the patient first above all other considerations. This means that they will only ever assess a patients priority against his/her clinical needs. Any atempt to force them to give higher priorities to specific groups will be ignored i the face of medical priorities.

Veterans getting priority is a nice idea but it will never happen as doctors are not ethically allowed to do it.
Sorry but you are talking pants.

The Hippocratic Oath covers their first rule - which is essentially - Do No Harm.

Were it the case that no prioritisation were allowed there would be no such thing as waiting lists. Just a huge bundle at the door to the Docs and the first one in gets treated.

People whose needs are greater than yours for Medical reasons (no op within two months means you die Mr Heed) will automatically get greater priority (Hippocratic Oath time).

What I am talking about is the eighteen month Orthpaedics waiting list suddenly being reduced to two months because you have served and therefore go to the head of the list as far as Medical priorities will allow.

To say "Sorry this will never happen" smacks of the type of wrongheaded thinking that has allowed this country to fall in the state of ruin it is in.

Lets start from Can do rather than "lets see why we can't".

Oi Rockape - you're in the BAFF. How about a campaign? :D

I'm with Heed on this one, a vast majority of people who post on this site bust their balls for little recognition from the gubmint at the best of times.

Medical emergencies/priorities aside I honestly cannot see the big problem with being on a shorter waiting list for a scan or whatever than some layabout chav dole scrounging scumbag who never lifted a finger is his / her pointless little life. Our career, whilst our choice, can call for the ultimate sacrifice, I feel a little recognition on this isn't too much to ask.

The current system is weighed up in totally the wrong way. My father in law, who served 24 years and is terminally ill, has to wait and pay for certain treatments whilst immigrants / dole scroungers seem to get in straight away and get it all gratis. Fair? I think not.

How would you feel if instead of getting priority NHS treatment they are given private health care for life after discharge?

Also do you believe ALL british citizens should have equal priority based on severity of illness/injury? i.e should drug addicts/alcoholics etc have equal priority?

Heed, 'tis going on as we speak - and has been for a while!

see HERE
Pages about individual campaigns and issues:
Housing - 'Social Housing Discrimination' - Housing and Regeneration Bill
Iraqi Local Staff - A Moral Obligation
Service-related Inquests - including legal aid for bereaved service families
Service Voting
Other issues:
Manning Control
Single Living Accommodation (SLA)
Service Family Accommodation (SFA)
Operational Pay Allowance (in the BAFF Steering Group period)
Armed Forces Bill (also in the Steering Group period)
Medical Care for the Armed Forces - evidence to Defence Select Committee
Representations in support of SSAFA Gray's Lane Ashtead planning application and the Army Rumour Service's campaign (Headley Court); advice on planning procedures (Update: SSAFA's Norton House will be open to receive the first families on Thursday 14th February 2008!)
Council of Europe negotiations on rights of members of the armed forces
Priority Medical Treatment for Veterans
PTSD - including media support for Combat Stress
Armed Forces Compensation Scheme (AFCS)
DIN 2007DIN03-006 - the MoD 'Gagging Order'
...and more! :)