Military vehicles in civilian life

Always wanted one of these...
1626533920796.png

Or better still one of these:
1626534019941.png

Loved the welly down engine scream on those things.
Although a false nuetral would send your knee into your chin at times.

Chef

LE
Only if they wanted a gate guard. ISTR a certain RA Regt on Thorney Island with virtually all their fleet VOR. Long term VOR.
There was a whole wedge of them parked up at Chelsea VOR'd as I recall.

My experience of them was tooling around Gibraltar in an RHD one, which was nice.

On the introduction to them the caps for the washer reservoir and some other items were rusted to buggery, which bothered the chap teaching us not one iota.

Sounded like a collection of tin cans at speeds over 5mph, I'd not like to drive one on a motorway.

Truxx

LE
ISTR the base vehicle was shite to start with. Did the conversion make them worse?
The original trial one was truly diabolical, (auto gearbox) the second trial one (manual) was worse. As I say, so bad that the trials team refused to trial them second time around.

Oddly, this did not involve me ending up with my arrse in a sling, so presumably the high-ups secretly agreed with us.

Blimey, things were certainly different when I was there, I was in charge of the inspections department and I had a mammoth task of converting the workshop from one inspection system to another as they were doing their own thing when I got there and not the same as the rest of the REME. I also know there was talk of LEAN principles being adopted in the Workshop which happened after I left, all around reducing waste in principle, in reality as far as I could see it was all about doing half the work with a lot less manpower, in my opinion dangerous as I’m a firm believer in repairing everything that needs repairing, so perhaps that led to the circumstances you speak of.

LEAN came in fully around 2007. I think the greatest difficulty was the log element due to the very long supply chain.

Whilst I was there the Workshops were flooded with bods during winter repair.

I think the main catalyst for change is that BATUS’ long term future was confirmed when an enduring Memorandum of Understanding was signed with the Canadians. I believe previously that the MOUs only lasted for a limited time and had to be renegotiated each time.

This would be my dream come true (one of them that's fit for your delicate ears, anyway):

Better if you’re not paying for the juice.

My most memorable filling station visit was when I tried to start up and the starter motor jammed. There was a brief WTF before I hopped out and grabbed the screwdriver and plastic hammer, followed by a brief intermission while I got the access panel off and carried out some percussive maintenance, and then we were on our way.

My most memorable filling station visit was when I tried to start up and the starter motor jammed. There was a brief WTF before I hopped out and grabbed the screwdriver and plastic hammer, followed by a brief intermission while I got the access panel off and carried out some percussive maintenance, and then we were on our way.
Ah, the joys of classic military vehicle ownership.

Guess who forgot to switch tanks and ran one nearly dry? It was a dodgy fuel pump, honest ;)

35836043303_b373a011ab.jpg

Truxx

LE

I was once flown about in a Gazelle where every time we stopped off somewhere one of the crew had to do similar (millimetric fuel pump apparently)

Quite disconcerting as a passenger I must say..

I would like another shot at driving an old Commer repair wagon - some memories there. One I drove used to nearly shake itself to bits up around 30 mph, and then again on the way back down. Had a new 'tiffy' as passenger one time, and he almost 'jumped ship' when it started. It was also quite handy having a 27.5 kva geny behind as a spare set of brakes, as proved on a downhill run fright near Sennybridge once. I seem to recall a church & a wall coming very close to be taken out!
I did, however, manage to salvage a bit from my last one before changing over to the MK Clansman type.

Attachments

• Old & Older!.jpg
    Old & Older!.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 11
  • Sign of the (old) times!.JPG
    Sign of the (old) times!.JPG
    363.9 KB · Views: 11

Latest Threads