Military Trade Union YES or NO

Does the Military need a Trade Union

• Total voters
Just to satisfy the curiosity of certain posters, straightforward question, no muddying the waters with the need for a federation or such like

For once and for all a completely unofficial, unrepresentative, unbiased :shock: Poll

I'll quite happly say yes to this one, being told what to do in the Army in regards where and when to go is expected, but financially, cutting LOA without review, pap 10's without redundacy pay, cutting pension index's to the cheaper option and other under the radar methods.

YES

Kentigern House has it's own TUC i always thought. :wink:

those who know the other way of describing the TUC will get my drift. :scratch:

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
I've got nightmare visions of the MOD version of Scargill running around Afghan with armed flying pickets trying to stop people soldiering.

NO!

I've got nightmare visions of the MOD version of Scargill running around Afghan with armed flying pickets trying to stop people soldiering. NO!
who the feck in their right mind would give an A Cappella vocal group weapons????

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
No. End of

Not on your bleedin’ nelly. There are so many reasons why not, but one is that it would likely cause more discontent, not less. As so often, it would be a tin pot powerbase for those that can’t achieve much in their chosen profession in any other way.

There is no place in the Armed Forces for any form of 'trade union'.

As so often, it would be a tin pot powerbase for those that can’t achieve much in their chosen profession in any other way.
I agree. It is so often the useless lazy trouble making scrotes that end up as 'union reps', making as much noise as they can, rocking the boat and damaging 'their members' reputations, while trying to maximise their own personal gain. There may be the occasional exception to this rule, as is always the case, but they are so very few and far between.

No. There's enough barrack room lawers without more dickheads spouting shite.

Anyone who says yes is a fat, useless whinging waster. (Yes that includes you desktopcommando, moneygrabbing cunt).

You've got an opinon & so do I, dont mean a miner's type union, just an impartial body from the government to make sure that we dont get screwed and contract's changed everything time they run out of money......anyway Im big boned

I fail to see where you think we are getting ripped off.

I (your name), swear by Almighty God that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, her heirs and successors and that I will as in duty bound honestly and faithfully defend Her Majesty, her heirs and successors in person, crown and dignity against all enemies and will observe and obey all orders of Her Majesty, her heirs and successors and of the generals and officers set over me
I take it you said the same thing when you joined up then DTC? Nothing in there about 'as long as the union/ fed rep says it's alright'. If you have a greivance use the CoC. If you sill can't stomach the answer then take your services elsewhere, but don't let the door bang you on the arse on your way out! Might sound harsh but that's the reality of it and one of the main reasons that we remain (IMO) unique as a work force. I listen to bill oddies bleating and whinging about how shit the whole game is, but they continue to play it (i've been talking a good PVR since 1988 and I'm still here playing by the same rules - although I am starting to wonder if we have gone too far with hoomin rituals etc) I thank buggery we have no union!

I just posted this in another thread about unions in the Army. This is what I said for what it's worth.

Speaking as a union member of some 29 years standing and having held several posts in a trade union, the Army is not something that should be unionised. Soldiers must abide by QR's and on occasion will need to do things that put their lives at risk. You can't have union democracy and practices in that kind of setting. It would be daft and could even lead to dangerous situations if there is any doubt about the chain of command on operations for example.