Military to get cheaper council tax

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by oldbaldy, Jan 28, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours,,-7261175,00.html

Good if true
  2. If true, and if no 'Brown' type 'claw-backs', excellent news. Mrs T was wrong to deny this sort of rebate to the military when 'Poll Tax' was introduced.

That said, I have no doubt whatsoever JPA will cock the whole thing up.
  3. My instinct is that this is not such a clever idea. It will do little more than alienate some of the population and besides, wife and kids are still living there using the council services......

An overseas tax break would IMHO be a far better gesture and far easer to swallow for the general population since it's nothing new. People have been working aboard and getting tax breaks for decades.

As for JPA cocking it , yup you can be sure of that. How the hell will JPA calculate the boats? Away for 6 weeks, back for 3 days, away for 12 weeks maybe but can't say exactly for sneaky beaky reasons. The possibility for royal cock ups is endless. :roll:
  4. Why do I get the feeling they will give with the one hand and take with the other........................................
  5. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Agreed but the rebate is roughly the 25% rebate that a family with just one adult would receive anyway,
  6. Has this gesture distinguished between pads and singlies, or is it a rebate for all ranks regardless of status?
  7. Oooh ooh!! I sniff a bit of softening-up going on. Stand-by for: - "This year's pay rise will be staged, but the majority on Ops will not be affected because of changes to council tax rebates"

Keep your hands firmly on the wallets lads.

8. I can't see that being a problem because unless you tell them no-one will know what council tax you are paying. The bit that would worry me is how will they calculate the six months and if you don't do the full six will the rebate be pro rata.
  9. Sadly, you are probably quite correct.
  10. Des Brown indicates with delight more like fuggin angel delight, that bloke has yet to convince me he actually knows what hes on about. he spends more time slagging of his Scottish counter parts, than actually looking after his own affairs. the guy is a grade one toss pott. Back to the point, hes giving with one hand and taken with another?
  11. I am not impressed. Why should a serviceman overseas pay any council tax? Prisoners pay nothing.
  12. No doubt you will have to do a minimum of six months on ops before you qualify :x
  13. AFAIK this isn't new. It was announced some time ago, and yes, you do have to do the full tour overseas to qualify.