Military to act as future 'strike breakers'

[video=youtube;9zqtfSxmOFc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zqtfSxmOFc&feature=g-all-u[/video]

If this is true, perhaps the budgets should be rebalanced to reflect the fact the government has twigged there is only one public service that can always be relied upon.

Jobs they could fill include prison officers, firefighters, immigration workers, fuel tanker drivers, and even train and Tube drivers, according to Whitehall sources quoted by the newspaper.
One Whitehall bloke pissed in a pub?

Has any one got any idea if we still stock cannister ammunition? Just wondering if call me Dave may be interested? Failing that I always liked the M18 Claymore.

M

Mr_Tigger

Is there anywhere on the tube network where one can race with another train? If there is that make help take the edge of the disappointment many will be feeling after it slowly dawn on them that 'strike breaking' does not involve the brassing up of greedy union labour.

M

Mitch500

Nothing new here the Forces have always been invinted to cover for strikers. During my service we covered for striking firemen, binmen and tanker drivers as well as being called out when any of these tossers couldn't cope 'cos it was a bit wet or cold. Most of the time these arses were on better salaries than we were.

Teaching ... another easy public sector role.

Policing ... ditto

But no need to plan for those as they are non-essential roles.

just ask the AA and RAC to attend road accidents and stick a few cones out.

give the kids time off school

Put some RE and REME chaps into the nuclear power stations they'll soon get the hang of running the power generation show.

1969 Job evaluation exercise ?

Deja vu

Can't we just crack heads until they go back to work?

No one really wants to do these bone jobs anyway.

Travelgall

LE
Kit Reviewer
Since nearly all of these jobs will be paid a hell of a lot more than we are, do we get a percentage cut of their Salary and Pension. That would be nice.

Re The Tube Drivers job. Couldn't the Veterinary Corps train the Regimental Mascots to do that so it didn't screw up leave.

One can see the temptation for some in Government, outside the MOD, to hope for an Olympic-style bale out by the armed forces.

This from yesterday's Prime Minister's Questions:

Penny Mordaunt (Portsmouth North, Conservative)

Our armed forces are always willing to do what we ask of them without complaint, but there will be a detrimental impact on individuals’ training, deployment opportunities and rest and recuperation if we ask them to keep this country going in the face of strikes. Is that not another reason why the unions should think again?

David Cameron (Prime Minister; Witney, Conservative)

My hon. Friend makes an extremely good point, and I hope the trade unions who are meeting and discussing this appalling idea of a general strike do think again, and think of the good of our economy rather than their own selfish interests.

My hon. Friend makes an important point about our armed services, and it is right to put on record again what a fantastic job they did in the Olympics and Paralympics, stepping up to the plate and putting such a friendly and smiling face on our games. From everything I saw at the Olympic games, our armed services were pleased to play that role, and I know that there are times when we can call upon them and they will be pleased to serve.
However, I think the MoD would be resisting anything which goes beyond the existing JDP 02 - The Defence Contribution to Resilience, which still leaves a fair amount of scope.

In the recent Press speculation, the Guardian said "Sources dismiss suggestions that soldiers could be deployed to cover for striking workers in jobs not related to public safety" -

Military cover for workers on strike unrealistic, say defence officials | UK news | guardian.co.uk

Teaching ... another easy public sector role.

Policing ... ditto

But no need to plan for those as they are non-essential roles.

just ask the AA and RAC to attend road accidents and stick a few cones out.

give the kids time off school

Put some RE and REME chaps into the nuclear power stations they'll soon get the hang of running the power generation show.

1969 Job evaluation exercise ?

Deja vu
Since when can the Police strike?

Since nearly all of these jobs will be paid a hell of a lot more than we are, do we get a percentage cut of their Salary and Pension. That would be nice.
I like the heft of your jib there.

But I'd give all that up in an instant for...

Get back t'work povs.

When was the last mutiny in the Army? There was one at Northallerton Prison in 1946 by troops undergoing sentence. This resulting in armed troops being sent from Catterick to quell it.

When was the last mutiny in the Army? There was one at Northallerton Prison in 1946 by troops undergoing sentence. This resulting in armed troops being sent from Catterick to quell it.
There was one at the old Aldershot Military nick as well in 1946.

The original 'Glasshouse'.

I wonder if they were upset about missing the war?

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
The Armed Forces are an executive arm of the government and must do whatever the government lawfully tells us to do. The taxpayer has a right to expect that as it's what they are paying for.

Of course the heads of the Armed forces must inform the government if what we are being told to do may lead to a compromise the defence of the realm or where one task may compromise another task.

That said I think the government should be very careful about bringing the Armed Forces into anything that could turn into a polarising battle such as strike breaking.

Then again I don't believe that anyone employed by the taxpayer should be allowed to strike. The taxpayer should only be employing essential services so by definition they are essential. If the people doing those jobs don't like the terms and conditions then its a free country, they should exercise their freedom and get a job elsewhere. If they can't get a job elsewhere then maybe that should tell them something and they might consider themselves lucky to have the job they have.

I know that some people will say they are only trying to protect their existing TACOS but unfortunately the cupboard is bare and the country cannot afford what it used to be able to afford. We are all going to have to be a bit poorer. People, many people are going to lose out. I hope as many as possible of those at those at the lower end will be protected.

2 points to consider:

a. The joint centres and integrated working practices that were used during the fire strike were seen as a better way to do business, strike irregardless.
This lack of "complete collapse of emergency cover and increased risk to general public" as floated by the FBU led to the cancellation of the 2nd round of strikes.

So - a general strike may result in interim measures and work practices being used that are more efficient than normal jogging.

b. The effect that troops can deliver in the UK and the public feedback/response (street lining for the torch relay, OP OLYMPICS in general etc) has immense (and immediate)novelty value to senior command (1* and above).

The only significant limitation in the past is the Treasury insistence at full recovery of costs (once they hear the potential dayrate for HM forces, most Local Authorities /Cat 1 responders go for a cheaper option I.e. Use local 4x4 volunteer group to get patients to hospital during snow rather than pay for Wolfs and drivers).

So, if covering essential services during strikes is exempted from the Treasury rules, Comds have a great opportunity to do good, prove the army's worth and get an UK OPS OJAR pat on the back.

Standby for screwed up leave and fast balls during the "2012 winter of discontent".

OP OLYMPICS has made the use of the army more likely.
The lack of direct impact on Ops from the numbers of originally planned and surged extra troops committed has suggested there is still fat on the Army carcass. A staff officer bleating that it will take 2 years to get back to normal only raised a few eyebrows as to what gold plated standard of normal jogging he was referring to.

The cynic could also add this is an easier "war" to fight for political masters than the last two major outings

Its fairly irrelevent i think, in ten or fifteen years time the Army won't have the capability to cover anything. What with the fact we wouldn't have done anything war-like or ally in a long while, morale amongst the blokes will be lower then snakeshit from repeated battles with the breconian militia, and the only chance of doing something had been other people's jobs when they fancy a strike.

What person in their right ****ing mind would join the army with any of the above as the reality of service?

The fact is and as always the military will be pushed and pushed until the damage to it is too great and unrepairable, feel sorry for the blokes who will be in when it happens.

When I read the thread title I got excited at the prospect of cracking trade unionists' skulls with a hickory stick, only to realise the dour reality that our lads will be roped into more jif jobs like the Olympics.

Latest Threads